Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Sense of humour?

Funny thing, humour.

Obviously one person's hilariously giggleworthy to another person might be "wot?" or appalling.

But I've noticed what I once thought funny no longer is and vice versa.

When I was a teen something like the statue over the entrance of Lewis's entrance which is of a stark naked man that when it rained often looked like he was ---er --- let us say micturating had my mates and me in fits!

Over the years my tastes changed passing through Monty Python and Fawlty Towers but never what I would call "snide" stuff.

For me these days it's the genre that includes and is typified by Fascinating Aïda.

When it comes to American humour - that just leaves me cold.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Re: Sense of humour?

Hi

I just do not get the American sense of humour as shown on TV.

In real life they are much funnier.

Us Brits are no better.

Some on here think it is funny to Troll.

It isn't.

Luckily we have some incredibly witty and funny posters on here, which is why I stay.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:54 AM

For me personally my own humour is Spontaneous.

I am a bit like marmite,you either like my humour or you don't,..simples.

My son and I have great humour together we bounce off of each other and at times are in fits of laughter.

I also like acting my shoe size,..I guess it must be the child in me.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Humour is awesome. I can’t live without humour.
I’m easily amused and find so many things in life funny that others don’t but I’m ok with that. My humour is quite childish but so am I . Oddly enough I use sarcasm a lot as a source of humour which is greatly influenced by my mother and husband since both are very sarcastic but it can be annoying.

You don’t much like American humour?
Ok what about Canadian humour?
We can be pretty darn funny
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:59 AM

It's all a matter of taste, I love, "Third Rock from the Sun", "Everybody loves Raymond" and "Last Man on Earth". The Americans are very good at relationship humour and casting.
Older British sitcoms I find much funnier than new ones.
Some of the new British comedians seem to go out of their way to be offensive, no idea why.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Life is much too important to be taken seriously - that is why a sense of humour is vital. But AT is right - different people have different ideas about what is/is not funny.

My late brother enjoyed 'slap stick' such as Laurel and Hardy, Norman Wisdom and clowns.

I loathe 'slap stick' - and clowns scare me witless.

Some people enjoy TV programmes such as 'Dads Army', 'Father Ted' and 'Mrs Browns Boys', and find them hilarious. I find them boring, tasteless and, in the case of the latter, disgusting.

Give me Morcambe and Wise or Dave Allen and I'll laugh 'til my stomach aches!

No-one can please all of the people all of the time.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:09 AM

For some reason I don't find "any" comedians on tv funny,

..Mr Bean..

I like my own humour and that of my sons,I also like some of the members humour on here.

That's good enough for me.

But I must say,my humour came late in life.

I was far to sensitive to know what humour was,when young,I took most things to heart.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:13 AM

I think my humour has changed over the ages?
Starting at slapstick, moving to situation comedy like
Steptoe and Son etc through to satire and then to what is
politely called irony or sarcasm!
I now seem to favour what l would call barrackroom or
toilet humour? seems like my brain is in a retrogressive
phase at the moment!
I also find that l enjoy the humour in the Grapes is more
to my liking than in Weatherspoons, and a pint is the same
price!
So its a no brainer really!

Regards Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:17 AM

I love to laugh and I think I have a good, if somewhat bent, sense of humour and irony. I think one of the saddest things that can ever happen to a person is that they lose their S.O.H. Even worse that they have never had one. Ironically, a sense of humour helps you cope with the less funny aspects of life. Best of all if you can laugh at yourself, laugh with others rather than at them and not take yourself too seriously, people will like you more I reckon. Just my opinion. The people who have made me laugh more than anyone else are Basil Fawlty, Barry Humphries, Bill Bailey, Paul Hogan, Billy Connolly, Victor Borge and the adorable Joyce Grenfell. Many others also. Too many to count.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Humour is also used as a coping mechanism for some

Here’s an interesting article on humour.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.psyc...survival%3famp

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top