Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 04:21 PM

copying photos

if you want to use a photo from the internet make sure it is what is called "royality free" and you can use it

If you see one more than likely has a copywrite on it get the photographers permission first. All photos automatically belong to the photographer and they own the copywrite to the photos.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 05:45 PM

Re: copying photos

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
if you want to use a photo from the internet make sure it is what is called "royality free" and you can use it

If you see one more than likely has a copywrite on it get the photographers permission first. All photos automatically belong to the photographer and they own the copywrite to the photos.
I know that but how they can know who copies what I don't know .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I know that but how they can know who copies what I don't know .
They don't know but if anyone does copy a photograph or image that has copyright on it and it's seen, the owner of that copyright can take the person who used it without permission or payment perhaps, to Court and sue them. The financial penalties are quite severe I believe.

This also applies to music and all started with the internet and those who produce these copyright items were, and still are, losing money as those photographs and the music is someone's work and living, to use them without permission or perhaps payment is theft.

There are copyright and royalty free photographs if anyone does want to use them. I often used these if I wanted a nice photograph for a publication but didn't have one. There are plenty of websites showing these, some links below if anyone wants to have a look, there are some really nice photographs too:

https://www.pexels.com/royalty-free-images/

https://burst.shopify.com/free-images

https://pixabay.com
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Don't know how to download music anyway .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 06:32 PM

A grey area but I believe the penalties of using photograph or image produced by somebody else may be open to debate ..unless the person copying and publishing the photo is making money out of doing so. Any money made from the photo should rightfully go to the owner of the photo.

I also believe that it may not be the use of the photo that is the only issue. Directly linking to a photograph or image for showing on another site, such as this one, might not be a good thing to do either (google 'hotlinking').

In any event, it seems safer to take your own photographs for showing on the Internet. If not doing that, at least give a link back to the site where the photo was seen and give due credit to the photographer.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Before retiring I worked in the printing, publishing and advertising trade. Copyright and possible infringement of that was a nightmare. Customers would create their own artwork using images or photographs taken off the internet, often not having bothered at all about copyright and seeking permission to use the image or photograph.

Surprisingly it’s not that person who created the artwork who would find themselves in trouble but it would be the company that printed or photocopied it, they were the ones who had reproduced the image. What used to happen was that customers would have to sign a document accepting full responsibility for any copyright infringement.

The link below gives a guide to copyright regulations:

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreute...ge=true&bhcp=1
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 09:33 PM

What about images that we find simply by Googling something? Many of us find a random or specific picture, photo or smiley emoticon or a gif and copy and paste it to this forum don't we? The Mods seem okay with that.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
What about images that we find simply by Googling something? Many of us find a random or specific picture, photo or smiley emoticon or a gif and copy and paste it to this forum don't we? The Mods seem okay with that.
That happens all the time doesn't it? The image creators/owners will either never find out or just won't be worried. If a site has a collection of emoticons for instance, they might have put them there to be used. Some won't even mind if you hotlink to them. I'd always check the terms and condition of the site before hotlinking to their images to see if they mention anything about it. Even if they don't want hotlinking taking place, they may not mind if you download the image/emoticon/photo to your computer and then upload them to here or an image hosting site of choice.

Hotlinking to an image on the owners site, uses their bandwidth and that bandwidth has to be paid for somewhere along the line. That's why, if you look into this subject, you'll eventually come across the term 'bandwidth theft' (google it). Downloading the image to your computer and then uploading it for display here doesn't use their bandwidth.

A short while ago, I came across a short video on the front page of Imgur that I thought was good and linked to it for showing here. Being an image hosting site, I thought this would be OK. I should have read the terms and conditions first because shortly after posting, I worried about it and found out that it isn't OK to link to those videos. Mags kindly removed the post for me.

That's one site where the terms and conditions state that the images and videos should not be linked to but as said, some sites will mind hotlinking and taking their images. Others might not mind you doing both. Best to read their terms and conditions first if you want to stay strictly correct when it comes to using to images found on the Internet.

The trouble is that once this has been highlighted, it can put a damper on the enjoyment of a forum. People have been linking to or downloading images for years with no trouble and don't see why it should stop. All I'd say is to be aware of the above even if deciding to take no notice of it.

Edit: I should just add that if an image is hotlinked to, the site owner can trace which site is hotlinking to their images. Not much will happen if they mind this, other than breaking the link or asking for it to desist in order to stop their bandwidth being used. I think it would be unusual for them to go any further than this.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 03:26 AM

Thanks Mart. Very interesting
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
They don't know but if anyone does copy a photograph or image that has copyright on it and it's seen, the owner of that copyright can take the person who used it without permission or payment perhaps, to Court and sue them. The financial penalties are quite severe I believe.

This also applies to music and all started with the internet and those who produce these copyright items were, and still are, losing money as those photographs and the music is someone's work and living, to use them without permission or perhaps payment is theft.

There are copyright and royalty free photographs if anyone does want to use them. I often used these if I wanted a nice photograph for a publication but didn't have one. There are plenty of websites showing these, some links below if anyone wants to have a look, there are some really nice photographs too:

https://www.pexels.com/royalty-free-images/

https://burst.shopify.com/free-images

https://pixabay.com
Thanks for the links Baz46

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top