Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:26 PM

Cyclists: Scourge of our Roads

I've just been watching the heavily advertised programme this evening on Channel 5:

Cyclists: Scourge of our Roads.

It included some dreadfully arrogant cyclists who clearly believe they are above the law - and they are! There were examples of cyclists not only riding more than two abreast but occupying en masse both sides of the (narrow) road, riding through red traffic lights, riding straight past people crossing pedestrian crossings, riding on pavements (straight past policemen who ignored them), and riding on the wrong side of the road. I'm sure we've all seen examples of these illegal acts ourselves.

For balance, they also showed some motorists who were breaking the law: several mobile phone users whilst driving, and one or two who pulled in forcing cyclists off the road, though most of these were HGVs who probably couldn't see the cyclists in their 'blind spot'.

Obviously, there are wrongdoers on both sides.

However, there is one big difference: motorists are instantly identifiable; cyclists are not.

Perhaps that's why I have never heard of a cyclist being prosecuted for riding dangerously.

Will the government bring in a law to ensure cyclists wear identification?

Somehow, I'm sure they won't!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:30 PM

Re: Cyclists: Scourge of our Roads

I think it will happen. There are too many rogue cyclists now. Plus anything like this on TV ends up as law eventually. It's all part of warming up public opinion.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:41 PM

Same here. I am as environmentally conscious as the next person and we are gagging for an electric car. Can't wait. BUt cyclist are very testing as a group. Their sense of entitlement is boundless. They never stop whingeing. They want everything their way. But they are seldom busted for not complying with traffic laws.For people who are so physically vulnerable on the roads they really push it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think it will happen. There are too many rogue cyclists now. Plus anything like this on TV ends up as law eventually. It's all part of warming up public opinion.
I sincerely hope so.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:51 PM

yes the program showed cyclists riding straight past policemen on the pavement and the coppers totally ignored them.

How many cyclist have audible warning (bell) on their bikes or even a reflector on the rear mudguard. These used to be compulsory
They don't even have to wear reflective clothing, it is a disgrace what they can get away with.

Here is an idea, what about making legitimate targets for motorists?

Erm say 5 points for nudging one- 10 points for hitting them hard and a glorious 50 points if they fall off their bikes and the bikes get damaged

At least it is a game motorists can play on any street or road. Good game good game
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Same here. I am as environmentally conscious as the next person and we are gagging for an electric car. Can't wait. BUt cyclist are very testing as a group. Their sense of entitlement is boundless. They never stop whingeing. They want everything their way. For people who are so physically vulnerable on the roads they really push it.
True, and because of that I shouldn't be at all surprised if we hear more of cyclists being knocked down, or even killed, by 'hit and run' motor transport users.

Of course, I'm not saying that I'd support such things!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 12:08 AM

Hi

My taxi today had to avoid one cyclist who was looking at his mobile when riding.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:29 AM

Lots of cyclists here,all in lycra and usually in big gangs.Keeping to the cycle lane means nothing to them.
You never see anyone just get on a bike to go to the shops,they all seem to think they are in the Tour de France.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 03:35 AM

I was just thinking that too...have you noticed you never see anyone in just a pair of jeans or ordinary clothes on a bike anymore they all wear lycra and helmets...it's usually design lycra too with names and logos.

Actually as far as cyclists go I'm quite patient ...it's a good way to keep fit ...there are lots of cyclists clubs around where I live so I'm used to large groups.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 03:43 AM

I heard somewhere recently that they were thinking of tagging electronically bikes so they can be traced, especially when they are used to snatch handbags, phones etc. I doubt this will happen. Who's going to spend money monitoring it?
It's like everything else: Police shortages, prisoners being let out early, criminals avoiding jail completely etc...there's no money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top