Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Feed The Birds

Amazing numbers of birds, coming in to use the feeders, today.

Don't know why there are so many more than usual.

I told my GG Son that I didn't know how the birds knew when there were nuts & seed refills to be had.

He said "They see it on Twitter"

Not bad for a four year old!

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Re: Feed The Birds

We have 3 of the pest off ones, Had to invest in them as the amount of bullying that was going on was unreal. The magpies and crows attacked any other birds that came near. Now only the wee ones can feed and the bully boys have moved on.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 03:18 PM

I have three feeders,

1) Peanuts
2) Fat Balls
3) Sunflower seeds

Plus Mealworms and Bread.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
We have 3 of the pest off ones, Had to invest in them as the amount of bullying that was going on was unreal. The magpies and crows attacked any other birds that came near. Now only the wee ones can feed and the bully boys have moved on.
I have some thug Pigeons & wrecking block Magpies always around!

What do they your feeders like?

Do they also keep squirrels off?

(please)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 05:33 PM

I have one for suet fat balls, one for mixed seed and one for sunflower seed, suet bites, or chopped up meal worms. I put a mix of all 3 in. I also have a normal peanut feeder, and a ground feeder. The last two are only for the Winter and the bigger birds will get to feed from them.
The Pest off ones stop the big birds as they are hard to land on and if they do manage, their own weight shuts the feeding ports.
They soon get the message and go elsewhere.

https://homgar.com/products/pestoff-...f-bird-feeders

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	pest-off-bird-feeder-sunflower-mixed-seed_l.jpg.png
Views:	65
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	10235  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 05:56 PM

I have pest off feeders also.

The fat balls are going like crazy...the reason being..they are feeding their young...I have a new feeding station,right in front of my front window.

So I take my seat,when not working..enjoying watching them feed.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

14-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Thanks Roxy.

Will order some up.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 03:06 PM

I don't mind the big birds, they have to eat too.
I put some out for them and some for the little ones. Lots of starlings about this year!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

14-07-2019, 03:29 PM

I would quite happily feed the big birds all year TessA but they attack all the smaller ones and they were scared to try and feed. The last straw for me was when I heard the screaming and crying from outside, I ran to the back door and two magpies had a wee sparrow on the ground and they were really hurting it, a couple of big crows were also there and moving in close to have a go too. I chased them off and took the wee sparrow into the greenhouse and let it recover in an old crate. An hour later it had flown away. I took down all the feeders and nobody got a thing until the Pest Off Feeders arrived and it's all sorted it's self out. I will let the big ones feed from the ground feeder/tray and the peanut feeder when the cold weather returns, but that's it. This all happened last March. The big birds don't even try anymore.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top