Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 08:32 PM

Re: Weed killers.

That’s what I read Mups. It would seem you don’t add water.
I received my 5 litre pump sprayer today. l just have to wait now for my daughter to go to Costco. Maybe tomorrow.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That’s what I read Mups. It would seem you don’t add water.
I received my 5 litre pump sprayer today. l just have to wait now for my daughter to go to Costco. Maybe tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on, and if you're happy with the results later, please Emjay.
It'll be interesting.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:54 AM

Like others here I use a formula of vinegar , salt, hot water with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Since I have such a large area to cover I use one of those large pump type sprayers. It makes the job easier.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Has anyone tried vinegar and salt as an unwanted plant killer (weed killer to some).
I ask as I feel that this could be a safer option for pets to the commercial shop used ones.
I have read that this solution could kill the ground where it is sprayed, so nothing will grow there again.
What's wrong with your ordinary Chinese glyphosate 360? If you are worried just keep your animals away until it dries which is usually less than a hour. It has a very low toxicity to fish and animals anyway. As a weed killer is is very good and very reliable.reliable and doesn't change the ph of the soil unlike vinegar.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Like others here I use a formula of vinegar , salt, hot water with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Since I have such a large area to cover I use one of those large pump type sprayers. It makes the job easier.

Bratti, so you add water to yours do you?
Can you give me an idea of ratio's please?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 03:56 PM

So I went to Costco and all they had was ‘Apple cider vinegar ‘ and that was almost £5 for 2 litre. No good though can’t use that.
This morning in Sainsbury’s they had white (clear) vinegar 50p for 1/2 litre. So if I get 10 bottles making 5 litres, cost £5.
But I don’t think I need all that for this job, But half of that would do. To be continued.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Bleach on our paths seems to work for us.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Sodium chloride and acetic acid are also chemicals aren't they?
Only way seems to be pulling up them weeds.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Hello I use this and it works brought my vinegar from Amazon originally but since from Wilkinson's (cleaning section) use sprayer as goes further and really does work you can smell it but as soon as it dries smell is gone.

5ltr vinegar
Salt about a cup full (old tea cup not mug)
Washing up liquid (about a table spoonful I just give a good squirt)

Yes it works really well and no risk to the dog or the bees. Found it also works well on the dreaded creeping jenny.

You can add water but it dilutes the vinegar. You could also try simply boiling water with a little salt added.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

30-07-2019, 09:56 AM

At last I managed to use the vinegar and salt in a spray. It works on most unwanted plants, but not on the grass that I have growing between the paving stones.
But I wonder if it is grass, as I had a bird feeder and maybe some of the seed got into the cracks of the paving.
So I still need to get rid of it.
As TessA said “pulling it out “ is the answer. I have been doing that now at times.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top