Join for free
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2012, 04:49 PM

HMRC Scam e-mails

It was on the news this morning that some people are receiving e-mails purporting to be from HMRC and look genuine with the proper logo etc. The e-mail says that you are due a tax rebate and ask you to click on a link where you enter personal details. This is a scam and people have had money debited from their bank accounts as a result. No tax rebates are ever done by e-mail. They will always send a letter.

I hope no-one here has received any of these or at least not acted on them. HMRC would like to know about them so they can pursue this matter further.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Re: HMRC Scam e-mails

I didn't see this on the news but I've been getting emails supposedly from HMRC telling me about my tax rebate for about 18 months now!! I probably get one a month or every other month and just delete them as I know that its a scam!!
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2012, 05:16 PM

I had one today funnily enough. it looked real and I was quite pleased but I knew from the past when you get a tax refund it just turns up in the post. I hope no-one is daft enough to fill the form in because it asks for your passwords and everything and screams scam at you.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2012, 05:36 PM

HMRC never ask for details by email.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2012, 12:09 AM

I've had a look at the link AB and am amazed at how many scams there are just for hmrc, the list was endless !!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2012, 01:13 AM

I regularly get scam spam on my computer at work. I'm regularly being summonsed for traffic violations by NYPD!

I also get emails saying that my parcel couldn't be delivered and to "click here" to give my details to a place somewhere in America.

Sad thing is, these emails I receive download viruses which luckily are snatched by AVG anti-virus and are stored in the virus vault which we have at work and obviously, I don't click onto anything whatsoever.

I never get spam email at home, but I do at work. Nobody should get spam if they have a good anti-virus.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Wonder if Sir Philip Green, and all the other bigtime tax dodgers, get one of these?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top