Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Swindon, Wiltshire

I've never liked Swindon and haven't been there for years but hubby had to take his car to a main dealer Renault garage there to be fixed as the one near us had gone into administration, I followed him in my car ....... Well I was very impressed with Swindon, all the different superstores they had there, John Lewis at home, Icelands, Asda, Sainsburys, Next, just to name a few, all superstores. We took the dog with us and whilst his car was being fixed we took her in my car and went to a lovely country park where hubby took her for a walk. There was every main dealer garage there as well.

I said to hubby if we ever move I wouldn't mind moving there although don't know what the crime is like in that area.

Does anyone on this Forum live in Swindon?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Re: Swindon, Wiltshire

No. But I go there often. There is a large outlet shopping center there right next to an impressive railway museum.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 06:31 PM

It's where I live! I'm a Brummie but have lived in a village a few miles from Swindon for almost 30 years now and it's changed a lot over the years. The Designer Outlet Centre is SO boring, but the town centre of course has all the usual large stores, same as every other town in the country. The park you mention may be Lydiard Park which is just a mile or two up the road from me, there's a country house and lots of grounds for dog walkers. I don't think crime's any worse here than anywhere else but there are definitely some iffy areas. If you do consider coming here let me know and I might be able to divert you from the less than salubrious estates!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
No. But I go there often. There is a large outlet shopping center there right next to an impressive railway museum.
I think I've been to that railway museum years ago
Alicat
West Berkshire

19-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
It's where I live! I'm a Brummie but have lived in a village a few miles from Swindon for almost 30 years now and it's changed a lot over the years. The Designer Outlet Centre is SO boring, but the town centre of course has all the usual large stores, same as every other town in the country. The park you mention may be Lydiard Park which is just a mile or two up the road from me, there's a country house and lots of grounds for dog walkers. I don't think crime's any worse here than anywhere else but there are definitely some iffy areas. If you do consider coming here let me know and I might be able to divert you from the less than salubrious estates!
I've been to the outlet centre quite a few years ago and 'yes' like you Eccles, I found it boring. Yes it was Lydiard Park we went too. Interesting it's changed alot over the years, that's what I noticed. I think we went to West Swindon, we parked in a Sainsburys Superstore, went past a huge Icelands.

You are very lucky having all those stores and shops out there. Thanks for the offer Eccles, if we ever do decide to move out there I will be in touch to find out the good areas and the bad.
bilbo
West Country
bilbo is male 

14-05-2013, 02:28 PM

seems that a lot of people don't want to admit to actually living there !
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 12:37 PM

We used to go on the cheap weekend breaks at the Hilton at Swindon

It is a good centre for trolling the area for antiques, Hungerford, Burford , Malborough and Lechlade; then a swim afterwards and before dinner .... not forgetting the famous magic roundabout!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top