Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Re: Do you speak the lingo?

Please, thank you and where is the toilet , gets me by
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 12:54 PM

My 'schoolgirl' French wasn't an enormous help in France the couple of times I was there and I was horribly embarrassed to try it out anyway.

Prefer to stay in the UK, where it's not quite so difficult. Mind you, there are some strange accents to cope with !!!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 01:00 PM

My paternal grandparents were Scots.

The Scottish mother of a friend of ours died recently at the age of 93.
She had lived here for over fifty years.
I could rarely understand a single sentence which she spoke.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 03:42 PM

I speak Geordie and English with a smattering of jockinese that i picked up from Billy Connelly back in the 70`s ( jobbie wheeker )
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 03:57 PM

I speak a bit of French and bit of Italian....no use to me at all because I holiday in Croatia and Wales
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Myra I totally support your philosophy. I too have spent 3-4 years at Spanish classes in order to have a decent grounding in the language for when I visit Spain. I consider it the polite and decent thing to do if it is within my means and capability. I don't want to be just another "bloody tourist".

Taking the classes (evenings) has been fantastic, met lots of new people and made some permanent friends with Spanish teachers. I've also made very good friends with a restaurant in Spain who responded very positively when I first started speaking Spanish. It's a great language. I would like to learn others too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Myra I totally support your philosophy. I too have spent 3-4 years at Spanish classes in order to have a decent grounding in the language for when I visit Spain. I would like to learn others too.
Maybe you'ld be better off 'teaching' them rather than 'learning' them Realist.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:12 AM

I try to know how to say a few words wherever I go. My only complete failure was Malaylam,the language of Kerala. Had to get by in English,a smile and namaste.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:21 AM

We have been going to Turkey for many years and I have learned enough Turkish to get by. I also spend a lot of time on language exchange sites though my wife insists I should have mastered English first.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Language can be fun. My late wife spoke fluent French including some Argot-she had been known to pass on a comment to some who made less than polite comments about tourists. And Italy, Lasize, where few Brits went ,mostly Germans, this chap spoke to me (he turned out to be the owner)

I looked trying to understand-he repeated it a bit louder.. The penny dropped-So in Italian I said I was not German but English so we speak in Italian. He fell in love with us-the bill was never quite correct as he seemed to forget all the grappa we shared.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top