Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Re: Dubrovnik

My late wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law and I holidayed in Porec which is across the sea from Venice (more or less ) in the mid-eighties and we took an organised trip in a boat down the coast to Dubrovnic - a bloody long way especially as a storm appeared half-way through the trip replete with forked lighting and big waves. My missus, not the greatest of sailors, wasn't very happy (of course it was my fault for wanting to visit the place). I thought the place was great with its cobbled streets and alleyways and since the sun came out eventually my missus and S-i-L were happy to wander round the shops and arcades while B-i-L and me went for a look at the walls. It saddens me to think of the damage caused by the war.

As an aside, when we went, there weren't many hotels so we lodged with a family in their home (Vlodovic Voya was the husband's name) - we occupied the downstairs rooms while the family lived upstairs. Our meals were supplied by the one hotel in the area so we had to trail about a mile or so every day to get fed. Every single day, the TV in the hotel showed old film footage of Nazi atrocities carried out in the region during the war which went to explain why our hosts didn't want anything to do with us. They thought we were Germans for some reason. When they realised we were English, they couldn't do enough for us.

To me, it was a great holiday and would like to go back but they say to never return to somewhere because it will have changed out of all recognition.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top