Join for free
Page 95 of 370 « First < 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 195 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:04 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

A hasty not in preparation for the 15 hour drive back home in the morning...

Floydy, the Smith machine is one of the few that I use in my rare trip to the gym. A good friend showed me how to use it for several types of lifts and I realized immediately that it keeps you in form like no other. It's my favorite!

The philosophy of building in more recovery as we grow older is grabbing my attention as we hit the starting line again.. I know that the pros lay off for months at a time, shifting into completely different types of exercise. Thus, I am thinking about increasing miles a few days per week in 2018 for the purpose adding in an additional recovery day each week. While I am in decent shape and have no muscle problems, I do notice that my endurance is flagging a bit. Perhaps more recovery is the answer. Plus, I know that too much exercise can increase injury risk, and while I have been lucky in that regard, I don't want to tempt fate. Interesting considerations for 2018.

OGF, too cold? Too hot? Too wet? Too early? Too late? The answer to all of these is...Just go! There is plenty of time to talk about the weather and conditions afterwards. Safe and festive travels to you and Mrs. OGF tomorrow. No one knows better than runners, swimmers, cyclists, and walkers that it really is the journey....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Good morning and happy almost new year!

I was heading back home yesterday but I have been kidnapped by some friends to Vail.

Today's exercise involves repeatedly coming down those slopes in the background :

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Happy New Year all!

That's a beautiful place, Surfermom. What a great way to start the year. I've never ski'd in my life and realise I've missed out when I see places like this.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend in Scarborough too, Bob. At least the weather isn't so bad around Yorkshire at the moment.

I missed out on the gym firstly on Saturday as after three days my body was telling me I needed to rest. This worked well as my muscles were given time to stabilise and loosen up. Unfortunately yesterday was blown out of the window as well as we ended up going for a drive up to Hornsea, a nice little seaside village, so I ran out of time.
Today of course is New Year's Day and the gym is closed, so all being well I'll be back there tomorrow instead...then it's back to work on the night

Chat again soon. Have a nice day
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 04:16 PM

With lots of unforseen happenings over the new year period my training schedule fell to bits, which isn’t too unexpected given the time of year. With work back rearing its ugly head for me tonight I managed at least half an hour of what can only be described as a few sets of warm-ups!

Tuesday 2 Jan 18

Pec dec:
12x50, 12x60

Tricep extensions:
12x50, 12x60

Chest press:
12x50, 12x60

Shoulder press:
12x50, 10x60

Machine bicep curls, alt.:
10x35, 7x40

DB press, incline:
8x24’s, 6x26’s

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
12x50, 10x60

Time: 30 mins.

Worth doing something I suppose. Legs tomorrow.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-01-2018, 04:28 PM

Floydy, it's January second, and you just accomplished more than most!

Once again, let's all keep each other motivated, honest, and moving...shall we? I do love this thread!

After watching American football bowl games and munching on a few decadent snacks yesterday, I did a round of step aerobics and abdominal work in front of the television, but I did not run.

Today, I will. For sure. Right now. I'll report back later!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-01-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, it's January second, and you just accomplished more than most!

Once again, let's all keep each other motivated, honest, and moving...shall we? I do love this thread!

After watching American football bowl games and munching on a few decadent snacks yesterday, I did a round of step aerobics and abdominal work in front of the television, but I did not run.

Today, I will. For sure. Right now. I'll report back later!

You sound a little like me there, Surfermom. Still finding your feet again after the holiday break I guess!
I'm sure by the weekend we'll all be back at it with some regular training again
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Well my local pool is open again tomorrow after the holidays. THANK GOODNESS, I really need to get back to exercising..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

03-01-2018, 12:02 AM

It's not easy when the gyms and pools are closed, Roxy. I look forward to hearing about your first swim of the new year!

Fortunately, my running shoes were open for business, and despite the cold, I happily accumulated the first six miles for 2018. Only 1,404 to go!

An unusually bright sun in perihelion told a bit of a fib before I opened the front door this morning. Blue skies and no movement among the leaves and branches suggested sultry conditions, but the cold air stung my cheeks and eyes before I had made even a dozen steps. The positive side to freezing temperatures is that they inspire speed - fast speed, to create warmth between the layers of tanks, tops, vests, and jackets. Having decided to don just a tank and light jacket, my decision was consequential enough to leave me shivering for the first half mile or so.

There is a different beauty to winter weather, even when snow isn't present. The boney limbs and branches of trees bend and reach skyward in their monochrome hues, and there is a crispness to the edges and lines of everything from hills to horizons. With the my lone companion of the long shadow of my silhouette, we pressed into the utter silence aside from my labored breathing.

By mile one I had my pace, pleasingly fast, my breathing fell into rhythm, and the world passed by with the puffs of my frosty breaths. Mile two turned into three before I turned to make my way back, and suddenly I spied a doe with two older looking fawns, camouflaged in a stand of trees adjacent to a small park. To stay warm or find food, they were out at this unusual time, and their wariness showed with pricked ears, and sudden leaps across the trail in front of me. Marveling at their nimble agiilty and ability to survive the cold, I was once again humbled by my seemingly plodding manuerability and inability to fight the elements without layers of fabric. We are not always the most capable of species.

With a hot shower and cup of tea awaiting, I managed my sixth mile in a full sprint. Or perhaps that sprint was meant to show Mother Nature - and myself- that I am still in the game. It's 2018 and tomorrow I will be older, but not slower...at least I wasn't today!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-01-2018, 04:45 PM

Ooo that sounds like a torturous start to the new year, Surfermom. Freezing cold until you hit your stride (and thus got yourself warmer), the sprint at the end must have been a heck of a battle! Well done there

Hi Roxy, nice to see you in here. Looking forward to your swimming diaries

Lovely photos of your Scarborough weekend, Bob too (in Bob's Bits). Sounds like you had a great time away

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for me. I'm just catching up on my leg work today. Nothing major to report except that I’m increasing reps, weight and my strength again without causing any extra pain to my knees, so it all seems to be heading in the right direction.

Wednesday 3 Jan 18

Incline press:
50x150, 20x200, 15x250

Sled press:
60x120, 25x160, 10x200

Bad girls:
30x60, 23x60, 14x60

Good girls:
32x60, 16x60, 10x60

Ham curls, seated:
25x50, 10x60, 5x65

Despite the increase in poundage, that took me very little time, so I added a couple of extra arm exercises:

Seated concentration DB curls, alt.:
12x12.5, 10x15, 6x15

E-Z preacher curls:
12x33, 12x30.5, 12x28, 15x23, 25x18
*This was a nice change. I started off with quite a heavy-ish weight and gradually removed the weights until I was lifting very light bar but increaeing the reps on each as I did so. The last set of just 18kgs felt like it weighed a ton by the end of all those!

Time: 50 mins.

Thanks for reading
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Awwww Man IT WAS GOOD, to be in the water again. I went expecting it to be busy with a lot of newbies with good intentions. But it was just the hard core ones like me. Did my 40 and had a wee natter before I came out.Took a walk along the front a while ago and there were several Surfers out on the waves, think they were learners as the waves were small and they were wobbly lol.

Page 95 of 370 « First < 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 195 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top