Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 06:12 PM

How it used to be

Those were the days when we turned up in our Sunday best to fly off to far flung places , with non of the checkout chaos we have today.

These photos may show first class but it was all very civilised then

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...s-used-be.html
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Re: How it used to be

Some really brilliant pics in that report solo... great stuff
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 07:45 PM

I wouldnt know as iveonly flown once in my life and that was in my late 40s...terrible experience lol would do it again though but wouldnt like it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:08 PM

I remember my first flight, it was on Dan Air and I was terrified because the windscreens looked so small I couldnīt imagine how the pilot could see where he was going
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:53 PM

How it used to be, not just flying but also the UK. Said to my wife today "remember how we had nice drives to Cornwall, stopping at a Thatched Country Pub for a bite on the way and being able to park when you get there", bliss.
Now driving into town is purgatory and we both agreed we have lived in the best times and the younger generation can keep this generation.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 12:46 AM

I do think many of us lose confidence over the years and become afraid of flying or travelling long distance.
I always enjoyed the holiday flight and the excitement of the airport, now I wouldn't want to go abroad, too many accidents, planes crashes and even murderers in certain countries!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:42 AM

I remember my first flight in the 1960s. It was an 'experience flight' in a 'Beverley' of Air support command. Since then I've made many flights (lost count but probably 500-600) and the novelty soon wears off.

Since giving up work I only make a handful of flights each year, but my two daughters make quite a few flights for business and leisure.

Honey, I think that unless you go to some out of the way places, you'll be just as safe as if you stayed in the UK.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Since I retired I have flown to many "unsafe" places, met lots of lovely ordinary people and looked at how state controlled media manipulates opinion. I hate flying but its the only way to get around the world these days except in Europe were the train is still an option.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 10:40 AM

We are just back from a week in Dubrovnik.
Uneventful check-in and flight there and an equally uneventful flight back again.
The only slight inconvenience was a twenty minute delay at the airport waiting for the taxi which was held up in a traffic jam on the motorway !
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:22 PM

I was the youngest person to fly long haul BOAC London to Nigeria 1953 (I think).......too young to remember.
Subsequent flights though I remember the silver service, cloth napkins, real cutlery and glasses!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top