Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:47 PM

Re: How it used to be

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
We are just back from a week in Dubrovnik.
Uneventful check-in and flight there and an equally uneventful flight back again.
The only slight inconvenience was a twenty minute delay at the airport waiting for the taxi which was held up in a traffic jam on the motorway !
Hi

Sounds great. my trip back from Poland was a nightmare due to the fog, got bused from one airport to another and Ryanair were useless, no information at all, and had to go through security 4 times in total, eventually arrived in the UK to be faced with massive queues at Passport Control, only two people checking and the electronic passport gates all closed.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 03:29 PM

I remember my first flight on a Vickers Viscount to Sardinia. We had to stop to refuel in Nice, so that was the first time I had stood on foreign soil so to speak. I thought it was great and have flown a number of times since to all sorts of places. However it is not the pleasure it was with airports treating everyone as if they were terrorists (even my little local one) and planes so crammed full of people it is difficult to feel comfortable, not to mention screaming children on some flights. Given enough money to fly business or first class I would not mind flying still, as you do not have to queue up with the common herd, but go through security in a different area where you are treated politely and then there are lounges where you can sit in peace, have something to eat or drink, etc. I have done that twice with an upgrade, but they are hard to get. Now I go cruising from my nearest port, still security checks these days, but not as awful as at airports, and we are treated politely, before going on board to start our holiday.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I remember my first flight in the 1960s. It was an 'experience flight' in a 'Beverley' of Air support command. Since then I've made many flights (lost count but probably 500-600) and the novelty soon wears off.

Since giving up work I only make a handful of flights each year, but my two daughters make quite a few flights for business and leisure.

Honey, I think that unless you go to some out of the way places, you'll be just as safe as if you stayed in the UK.
Must of flying in those days were experiences be it in the Beverley, Argosy or the Hastings. Clutching your brown paper bag of a sarnie and an apple which doubled up as a sick bag, you held your breath, and as you climbed with the wind whistling around you, you waited for the doors to close.... properly.

As scary as it often was, providing you could see the props going round you felt you had a chance of surviving

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top