Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

30-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Getting cash abroad

My son is planning to spend a few weeks travelling round Mexico. When he spends time in Europe he takes some euros and tops up by withdrawing cash using his NatWest debit card, though that incurs a charge.

Would he be better off getting one of those pre-paid cards? I don't know much about them - can they be used anywhere in the world?

It's no good him asking me for suggestions because I haven't even got a passport!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Re: Getting cash abroad

Originally Posted by indenial ->
My son is planning to spend a few weeks travelling round Mexico. When he spends time in Europe he takes some euros and tops up by withdrawing cash using his NatWest debit card, though that incurs a charge.

Would he be better off getting one of those pre-paid cards? I don't know much about them - can they be used anywhere in the world?

It's no good him asking me for suggestions because I haven't even got a passport!
I hope your son isn't traveling alone.
Tell him to take nothing of value and be very very careful.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Prepaid cards are good because they are accepted in most places. If not, he can get travelers checks or just tell him to use his credit card.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I hope your son isn't traveling alone.
Tell him to take nothing of value and be very very careful.
I second that. The infamous drug wars are still ongoing in Mexico even 'tho they finally caught Pablo Escobar (Or whatever his real name is)
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 03:50 PM

I've used an ICE Currency card in America for the seven or eight years with no problems.

Be very careful with them though they can be cloned and drained the same as a credit card.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

30-01-2016, 05:44 PM

Thanks everyone. I've passed on the warnings re safety, but he is confident it is safe.

I wondered about travellers' cheques but wasn't sure they still do them!

I think he'll go ahead and get a prepaid card - ICE was one he was thinking of, or the Post Office one.

He's got till mid February to make up his mind!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
Prepaid cards are good because they are accepted in most places. If not, he can get travelers checks or just tell him to use his credit card.
Spot on using a card.

On thing I disagree with your statement is I think it better to use a debit card better exchange rate.

I know its a different country but I always take cash when I go to the USA.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

30-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Spot on using a card.

On thing I disagree with your statement is I think it better to use a debit card better exchange rate.

I know its a different country but I always take cash when I go to the USA.
Yes, he'll take some cash with him to start with, but as he's planning on staying a while (assuming he likes it) he'll need to top up.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by indenial ->
Yes, he'll take some cash with him to start with, but as he's planning on staying a while (assuming he likes it) he'll need to top up.
He will have to have a card any way when he registers at a hotel.

So best way is using a card.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 08:25 PM

How about he goes to a different bank and opens a new account? Put in a certain amount and take just that card away. If he needs more money, maybe he can request you to do a transfer?

However if he goes away soon there may not be time.

Prepaid cards attract fees, and you lose the money after awhile through non use.

I think travellers cheques are being phased out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top