Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Battle Abbey Hastings

Battle Abbey Hastings

Spot marked with arrow where King Harold died

Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Re: Battle Abbey Hastings

we went here many years ago so its nice to see your photos - happy memories of our stay in Hastings
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:58 PM

It is only about 30 minuites from us. I love the way they assume the arrow marks the spot where he died. That field is actually part of the battlefield apparently
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 10:04 PM

the reason i was so keen to go to Battle is my birthday is 14th October (not 1066 i hastly add)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-06-2016, 10:27 PM

I have been looking up local history and guess what?

Exactly where I live King Harold started recruiting his army right where my house now stands.

The first to join was a man with a spear. He said he was the greatest spear thrower in the whole of England. So King Harold said to him," can you throw that spear right through that hole in the fence over there?"

This greatest spear thrower launched the spear and at over 20 feet the spear went right through the hole. So King Harold made him a personal body guard.

The next man wanting to join was an axe thrower. So king Harold asked if he could throw an axe at a fly and chop off the fly's back left leg. The man with the axe, being the best axe thrower in the whole of England, threw the axe and was so accurate the fly's back left leg was cut. Not bad at 50 ft away, so King Harold made him another personal guard.

The third man to turn up was the local village idiot who worked on the land. King Harold asked what he used, and the idiot said he had never used any weapon before. King Harold gave him a bow and arrow and told him to shoot with it. well this village idiot fired the arrow and it flew anywhere but what the village idiot was aiming at.

King Harold said "put him at the back of the army or he will have someones eye out"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top