Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:38 PM

Let this be a lesson to me !!!

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share this with you. I hope you have a cuppa or a glass of wine at the ready because with your kind permission, it is a bit of a saga. But one I hope everyone will take heed of and never never never do what this stupid old bird did.

Looking back on this topic, do you remember the thread I put on regarding the difficulty I had in trying to get existing medical condition insurance for COPD and PULMINARY EMBOLISM for our week’s holiday in Ibiza for the 6th June .

I had insured with Staysure the previous year for our cruise but due to the way they put their questions regarding the use of oxygen in the home, they refused to insure me this time and returned my money I had paid for the insurance.

Anyway, I was very lucky to find a good insurance company who worded the question differently and I was able to take out a good existing medical condition insurance for a cheaper price than Staysure.

Now, I made sure I held nothing back from the insurance company. One of the questions was Had I any examinations, appointments with consultants or Doctors in regard to my existing medical conditions before going on my trip. I truthfully answered No and fully intended it to stay that way because if for any reason one has cause to see their Doctor for anything pertaining to the existing medical condition, that is all the excuse the Insurance underwriters need to refuse to make a payment in the event that you have to claim, because you did not put it down when applying for the insurance.

All well and good, until about 4 weeks before the holiday. When I had last visited the Consultant on my six monthly check up at the beginning of May, he noticed that my blood oxygen level had come down from 97 to 91. Now as far as I am aware - 95 to 99 is excellent, 94 is good, 93 is where my finger pulse starts a warning bleep and anything under that it is a case of huh huh! I told the consultant that I was off to Ibiza in 4 weeks and he said… well 91 is deemed unsafe to fly !!!

Sod off ! I thought, I have paid for my holiday in full,I have my personal and existing medical insurance in place, I am not going to let anything spoil this holiday. I felt fine, my husband was so excited he was already half packed !!

Well, the upshot of all this is that about 24 hours before we were due to leave, I started to look but not feel rough. I took my blood oxygen level reading and it had dropped to 69!! My feet, my ankles, my legs, my thighs, my left arm and even under my eyes all started to swell up. I looked really dreadful but I still didn’t want to admit that there was anything wrong. I was convinced that if I could just get to our lovely hotel room with it;s beautiful terrace, the sunshine would soon cure me. Hubby was worried sick about me but I wouldn’t listen

Our flight was due to leave at 6 am on 6th June and at 2 oclock, I woke up first, swung my legs out of bed, sat on the edge of the bed and closed my eyes. That’s the last I remember until Hubby was helping me up off the floor and back into a sitting position on the bed.

“That’s it” he said, “I’m walking down to the medical centre at 9 am and getting the doctor to come and see you, we’re going nowhere until you have been examined. “

So there flew my holiday out of the window but to be honest, I felt so lousy and swollen everywhere I was in no fit state to go on holiday. I doubt if the airline would have let me fly if they had seen the state of me.

The doc came about 11 oclock, took one look at me and dialled 999 for an ambulance.

I spent 3 weeks in hospital with what they said was the right ventricle in my heart not working to put oxygen into my lungs that are effected with COPD, hence my body swelling up.

It seems my heart failed to do its job. Gulp !! Oh and to top it all, when I fell unconscious from the bed, I broke my left leg just above the ankle.

One good thing is that the tour company and both insurance companies have been very helpful and there has been no problem in getting full refunds for the cost of the holiday.

So please do not ever try to be as dumb as I was in trying to cover illness for the sake of it.

I can’t believe how truly stupid I was to ignore the warning signs.

I am now home from hospital, my left leg in a huge air boot for 6 weeks and me having to have oxygen for 15 hours a day until I see the respiratory team in 3 to 4 weeks time when they send me an appointment.

Funny isn’t it, brought up a huge family, worked all my life, never had a day’s illness, then I retire and I get everything thrown at me. Honestly !!

So my dear friends on Over50, that is the end of the Saga that started with the previous topic on Existing Medical Condition Travel Insurance.

My apologies for this thread being practically a novel but I feel better for getting it off my chest.(and heart and lungs and broken leg)

Stay well everyone, xxxx
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Re: Let this be a lesson to me !!!

Aww Shropshiregirl
You poor thing x
Talk about going through the mill
I hope you're properly on the road to mend
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Count your blessings SG it all happened in your own home , just imagine if it happened on holiday .
I do remember your previous post on insurance cause i looked into it for myself , but decided id rather be ill in this country than anywhere else so I have given up flying ..

Glad you are home from hospital and in better condition ,
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 10:01 PM

Thank you both so much, Please believe me when I say I am not divulging this for good wishes for my recovery. I am so angry at my own stupidity I felt that I just needed to get it off my chest or I would explode. I still can't believe that I was so stupid. The thought that I could have spent three or four weeks in a Spanish hospital or even the thought that I may not have even made it as far as Spain.... defies belief.

I'm on the mend now thanks. Really ticked off that I have to go on the oxygen at 7 pm every evening until 10 am the following day though but anything is better than being in that Hospital ward where every day I woke up thinking Please Dear Lord, get me out of here!!!!

And of course, he who must obey is treating me like a priceless piece of porcelain bless him. He is off to work every day and then phoning me on the hour every hour.

At least I have my over50 buddies on here to keep me occupied and entertained every day so thank you for that as well. xx
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 10:20 PM

Flamin hell Shroppy ... I thought you'd been really naughty for an awful moment. Stop beating yourself up about it. We all ignore stuff and carry on with daily life .. until it comes and bites us on the bum.
There'll be other holidays and in the meantime , there is the platinum lining to the cloud. Your only entertainment is us.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 12:00 AM

How awful I hope you are feeling better. If it's any help consultants too like their patients go on holiday so work very closely with them. Insurance companies however do not like to pay money out.

Always err on the side of caution and just be totally honest. Some consultants are happy to issue a fit to fly letter.

Hope you feel better soon x
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 12:40 AM

Oh! dear Shrops.
Talk about when it rains it pours.
Even in spite of all this you come on here and write a novel,
so good on you.
This just shows what a lovely Lady you are.
I am pleased that he who must obey is obeying and is obviously looking after your every whim!
Best wishes on a full recovery.

Kenny
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 06:17 AM

Shit a brick! Can I say that. Oh well, I did!
Thank goodness your husband put his foot down!
And you got the medical help you needed.
I do empathize with you though.
There have been times when my health condition has interfered with plans and I have stupidly ignored warning signs - and paid for it.
It sucks. Lots. Cos you're just trying to enjoy life.
Even older ladies just wanna have fun!
I hope each day finds you that bit closer to a full recovery.

Oh I too currently have an air boot.
Broke my left foot, but couldn't get a normal cast due to swelling.
Feel like racing!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 09:14 AM

I do remember your previous thread , I replied about my x having to pay £20.000 medical bill in new York as he did not disclose medical info .

I'm glad your ok , my goodness things could have been worse for you .

Take care
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Oh dear, Shrops...it wouldn't be fair for us to nag you, as you've been through so much these past few weeks! Just to say, at least you are home now, and recovering, so I wish you well. Xx

A lesson for us all, definitely. After my Mum's collapse in a foreign country, and our initial fear we could face paying £££££thousands in repatriation costs (actually, only two of her four children were ever in a position to be able to pay!!), and the relief that she was covered, made me face up to the fact that we should never EVER withhold important medical information, or try to travel if the body is unable to.

The doctors concluded that Mum's SAH was caused by high BP, but she was never diagnosed with it, or told to take medication, so was covered by the insurance. Remember we phoned her surgery from the Athens hospital and the consultant spoke to her doctor?

Since then, whenever I've travelled abroad, I make sure the insurance company knows everything, however minor.

Get well soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top