Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Re: Wuthering Heights

Mrs LDs also loved the book and the film but somehow, I just didn't think it was that well written, which is my also my opinion on a lot of the classics. It's probably to do with the old language.

I started reading 'far from the madding crowd' but got bored. Page after page after page about a woman losing her hat.
Demelza
New Member!
Surrey UK
Demelza is female 

27-11-2017, 09:52 PM

I have never really liked Wuthering Heights as the characters seem to rush from one crisis to the next.

But I admire it as a tremendous achievement by a lady of limited life experience, who wrote of violent passions and all consuming obsessions created in her own imagination.

Of course the sisters fed each other's imaginations all the time, and they had the disintegration of Bramwell in front of them as well.

I much prefer Jane Eyre, a much more subtle book, and Villette...even better.

What remarkable minds the three sisters had....and living in what we would think of as repressed circumstances.

I also tried to read Moby Dick once. And failed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Demelza ->
I have never really liked Wuthering Heights as the characters seem to rush from one crisis to the next.

But I admire it as a tremendous achievement by a lady of limited life experience, who wrote of violent passions and all consuming obsessions created in her own imagination.

Of course the sisters fed each other's imaginations all the time, and they had the disintegration of Bramwell in front of them as well.

I much prefer Jane Eyre, a much more subtle book, and Villette...even better.

What remarkable minds the three sisters had....and living in what we would think of as repressed circumstances.

I also tried to read Moby Dick once. And failed.
Mrs LDs favourite book ever. She must have read it fifty times.
Demelza
New Member!
Surrey UK
Demelza is female 

27-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Yes it is an all-time classic, and each interpretation on film or on the radio is as fresh as ever.

It must be the most -filmed classic novel ever.

And the author was a plain little woman with little money and limited experience but with a tremendous mind.

Just amazing.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top