Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:46 PM

Re: Essential oils.

Mups that's so funny!
Both aghast at the same time!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I trained - a few years ago - as an Aromatherapist.

Essential oils are fine - but you do need to be careful with them. Some can induce abortion, trigger epileptic fits, even cause heart attacks. A lot of them can counteract existing prescribed medicines. A few, Bergamot for example, smell lovely but are photosensitive - and you should not go out in the sun after using them. Others, such as Clary Sage, can make you very sick if you drink alcohol after using it.

Never use them on your skin undiluted - the exceptions being Lavender and Tea Tree - they are safe.

My advice would be - never just buy them over the counter if you intend to use them for anything other than in oil burners or potpourri . Always seek professional advice if using them for massage etc.,

Wise words Tabs.

Some people think because things are 'natural', they are harmless, but you still have to know what you're doing and what goes with what.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I buy Lavender and Tea Tree Oils, a few drops in my bath, helps me relax.
If you emulsify them in a teaspoonful of milk before adding them to your bath they will work better - and you will avoid having a sticky ring round the bath
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by mups ->
what worked? The wd40 or the bio oil?
wd40!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:55 PM

If I am feeling hopeless I open a bottle of Peppermint oil and give it a sniff. It always makes me feel a little more optimistic.

Usually though I'd use them in an oil burner when doing yoga. Peppermint and rosemary were favourites.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 12:01 AM

Now about this Bio oil... it's not magic at all, it contains a whole heap of chemicals, BUT alongside the crap are essential oils...chamomile, lavender, calendula, rosemary, sunflower seed... so no wonder it's good!
A big blob of base cream like E45 and a few drops of each of those good quality essential oils and you could make your own!

Ingredients: Paraffinum liquidum, trisononanoin, cetearyl ethylnexanoate, isopropyl myristate, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, anthemis nobilis flower oil, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, calendula officinalis flower extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed ...

If you're buying essential oils make sure they're of good quality...Tisserand, Neal's Yard, Natural Touch, are all good...all members of the ATC https://www.a-t-c.org.uk/membership-list/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
wd40!

Well be very careful Tabs, because this is what the makers of WD40 say:

Potential Risks

As a result of its use in treating arthritis, the manufacturers of WD-40 issued a disclaimer, advising against the use of the product for anything other than metal lubricant or corrosion prevention. On their website, the manufacturer took the additional step of posting:

"This popular headline (claiming that WD-40 is beneficial for arthritis) is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40 for medical purposes and knows no reason why WD-40 would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40 contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material."
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:05 AM

I love bio oil because it is excellent if you have sensitive skin.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

18-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well be very careful Tabs, because this is what the makers of WD40 say:

Potential Risks

As a result of its use in treating arthritis, the manufacturers of WD-40 issued a disclaimer, advising against the use of the product for anything other than metal lubricant or corrosion prevention. On their website, the manufacturer took the additional step of posting:

"This popular headline (claiming that WD-40 is beneficial for arthritis) is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40 for medical purposes and knows no reason why WD-40 would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40 contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material."
LOL! Only tried it that one time, Mups, and it did take away the pain - I had hurt my knee in a fall. Wouldn't make a habit of it because of the contents.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Hi

Nice to have given you all a giggle.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top