Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Re: Remainers, Open your Eyes!

Thank you for that explanation Annie. However, it doesn't change the fact of my opening post regarding the laying of blame on the EU now, today and for years past. I cannot make you believe what I have printed, however, your statement that it is down to the propaganda media is a bit rich, considering all the facts you have put above surely came from the same means. So who is right and who is wrong.

I worked in Finance and personally experienced the deluge of red tape and bureaucracy that came winging its way every few months from the EU, and always at a considerable cost to British finance companies.
We seemed to spend most of our working day worrying whether we were being fully compliant with every new rule and regulation that changed every few months. and usually just as we were becoming accustomed to the last regulation. up would pop the next one. It was ceaseless.

I have no doubts that it is still carrying on.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Those rules and regulations are barriers to trade from outside the EU SG. It is a non tariff barrier.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

SG, do you honestly believe that the bunch of idiots we have in Parliament, on both sides, can improve things?

A 1000 days they have had to arrange Brexit and they have achieved nothing.

The entire bunch of them have been outwitted by an aging overweight drunkard.

How on earth do you think they are going to perform when they run up against the big boys, the USA and Japan, China etc?

Whether we stay or leave, we need to get rid of the entire bunch of them.
Swimmy, you don't have to try and convert me on your comments about the clowns we have in Parliament. I am 100% in agreement with you.
Thanks to their disgraceful actions, we are in the position of losing Brexit, This country has been humiliated by suited, unelected prats in Brussels and we are the laughing stock of the rest of the world. You get no argument from me.

My post was about the mantra of Remain posters forever complaining that our economy will go down the pan if we leave the EU. as though they are the only saviour, when in truth, they have been successful in stealthily destroying, one by one, our most successful industries by means of over-regulation and laws that have never been to our advantage or benefit. (please note I did say albeit with the help of our own idiots).

The only response against my post is that it was not the saintly EU, but Margaret Thatcher and Media propaganda.

Like I said in another post, It's the battered wife syndrome, making excuses for the wife beater all the time and just won't or don't want, to admit the truth.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Margaret Thatcher (and others) certainly destroyed the coal mining and steel industries. What short memories some people have. Look back at the historical records SG. Margaret Thatcher was determined to destroy the unions at any cost. It was not the EU.
No she didn't Aerola. A condition of our joining the EU was to basically hand over the coal and steel industry.

" The Treaty would create a common market for coal and steel among its member states which served to neutralise competition between European nations over natural resources, particularly in the Ruhr. "

Likewise, all the industries have been divided up and hived off to other countries in the attempt to make each EU country more self sufficient and inclusive for the market.

One major issue is why the EU pays farmers and tells them what to grow on their land in return. That in turn would give the EU authority over our land as it continues.
Remember our green spaces and forests that not so long ago were spoken of as being sold off ? Who do you think would be purchasing them ?
Car industry, energy, transport, telecommunications, media, insurance, and so much more, all been taken under the umbrella of the EU, with France and Germany ending up with the control of the majority.
Next would be health, education, and prisons services .
A masterful plan that we have at last been able to see.

And so far as King, the ex Governor of the Bank of England is concerned, he is pro-Brexit. He's had more experience than any of our pathetic politicians , who play party politics, or the advisors many of who weren't even born in time to have seen the massive changes . They simply have degrees in something.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Not so sure about the EU being responsible for the coal and steel industries decline in UK Puddleduck. World markets, new fuels, and many other factors played a part. Coal and steel became uncompetitive in the global market. However, I will always maintain that Thatcher's intention was to break the power of the unions - I believe she said as much. And she did.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6...coal-industry/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-03-2019, 02:12 PM

The company I worked at would be classed as a medium size company. So would have come under SME's control. (Small, Medium Enterprise), but the red tape meant having to keep up with and operate the same as large companies such as banks etc. The problem was that none of us had the same infrastructure to keep on top of the red tape as effectively as we should.
We used to dread the twice annual visits by HM Revenue & Customs compliance officers with the powers to charge us penalties if we failed to keep sufficient paperwork up-to-date of all the regular red tape regulations landing on our desks. We were personally challenged by those Compliance Officers to ensure that each of us knew the contents inside out. It was akin to taking an exam twice a year! It was never-ending! and a wonder we ever got the time to actually do the job we were being paid for. (I had no need for a book to read on my journey to and from work, I spent most of the travelling time trying to digest the latest instalment of Red Tape, courtesy of the EU!

Regardless, Large companies are fully equipped to deal with the regular red tape from the EU, it is the small to medium British businesses that carry the administrative and economic burden that is time-consuming, inflexible and costly, because of the endless regulations washing over them every few months.

We know regulations are there in order for finance to function properly, but in the case of the EU, though it knows the problems it causes to small to medium businesses, by inflicting huge tomes of new regulations every couple of months, adding unbearable pressures on them, STILL ignore the problem and so choose instead to work against them.

Nothing new there then.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Last time I checked HMRC was a government body and not the EU. If we choose to apply the rules by the book and be officious about them then it's our choice but other EU countries are not so prescriptive. Again I reiterate it is down to our own interpretation and choices as government. It's not like EU people are coming to check how well we are doing on this. It's a fact that these rules are utilised by our state in order to a) make more money for treasury and b) used as an excuse not to spend more money.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Not so sure about the EU being responsible for the coal and steel industries decline in UK Puddleduck. World markets, new fuels, and many other factors played a part. Coal and steel became uncompetitive in the global market. However, I will always maintain that Thatcher's intention was to break the power of the unions - I believe she said as much. And she did.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6...coal-industry/
It was exactly due to the Treaty Aerola. We had originally refused to join in the 1950's for that very reason, and the French President at the time insisted that was the only way to go for us to become a member state. Initially all down to containment of making weapons after the close of WW11.

There's a lot about it here, but also a lot to take in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...5%E2%80%931957)

The declaration led to the Treaty of Paris (1951) forming the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), it was formed by "the inner six": France, Italy, the Benelux countries (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) together with West Germany. The United Kingdom refused to participate due to a rejection of supranational authority.[16][17] The common market was opened on 10 February 1953 for coal, and on 1 May 1953 for steel.[18
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Last time I checked HMRC was a government body and not the EU. If we choose to apply the rules by the book and be officious about them then it's our choice but other EU countries are not so prescriptive. Again I reiterate it is down to our own interpretation and choices as government. It's not like EU people are coming to check how well we are doing on this. It's a fact that these rules are utilised by our state in order to a) make more money for treasury and b) used as an excuse not to spend more money.
You're simply nitpicking now Annie. You seem to have a pat answer to everything negative about the EU so it is pointless.
IT IS THE EU THAT ISSUES THE REGULATIONS AND RED TAPE. If you insist on stating that other countries choose to ignore the same when it comes to regulations and the endless red tape, please prove it! don't just state it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 02:34 PM

I do agree with all who are saying it was our governments but they couldn't have been so weak and willing without the EU. I don't know how true it is but I remember a while ago being told we can't renationalise our utilities unless we sell them to the other EU countries. As a customer I feel held to ransom already by France who seems to make profits out of our water while not investing very much in our pipe work.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top