Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
BritishWelshProud
New Member!
Great Britain / Wales
BritishWelshProud is male 

12-04-2019, 10:37 AM

My own personal protest

I am an EX- Navy man and a proud British Citizen.

Since I was 18 years of age I have fulfilled my duty and taken part in every democratic vote the British/ welsh / European elections.

Now I find myself wondering how democracy has come to this and how a few self serving politicians can ride rough shod over the democratic will of the people?

Over the past 2 years or so I have watched and waited in utter disbelief at the tactics and downright insult on the democratic will of the people for Brexit and to Leave the European union.

It Has become a national humiliation with Mrs May Leading us down this path - trying to please everybody but pleasing nobody.

Surely even the people who voted remain can see what this debacle is doing to our democracy.

I feel so strongly about this at 58 years of age - I shall never vote again.

But unlike some who say "I will never vote again" and mean that they either will not register or will not go to the polling station, I will go to every single election and SPOIL my vote.

This way, my vote will be registered as a spoiled vote and recorded as such.

Probably it will not make any difference whatsoever but I will feel like I have put my twopence worth forward.

I have attached an example of what I intend to do.

(google - "spoil the vote" for more info)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	personal protest 003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	9218   Click image for larger version

Name:	personal protest 004.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	9219   Click image for larger version

Name:	personal protest 005.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	9220  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Re: My own personal protest

I think spoiling a vote is pointless , I intend to make my vote a protest vote in the European Elections and the General Election when we get one.

I also disagree with the term 'national humiliation' the nation has done nothing humiliating , many citizens have exercised a democratic vote in a referendum I see nothing humiliating in that.

Some MPs and the PM are a bit of an embarrassment but that should not be used to tar the whole nation with one brush.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think spoiling a vote is pointless , I intend to make my vote a protest vote in the European Elections and the General Election when we get one.

Does anyone know whether the voting for your mep's is the same as for your regional mp's.
Do mep's in europarliament represent a constituency or the UK as a whole?
BritGuyUSA
United States
BritGuyUSA is male 

12-04-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think spoiling a vote is pointless .

I also disagree with the term 'national humiliation' the nation has done nothing humiliating .
I agree with your 1st point Meg, spoiling a vote is just wasting his time.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with "national humiliation" because the Government have humiliated the people by not following a Democratic vote by the people, therefore humiliating them, & the nation in the eyes of the World.

Teresa May should resign ASAP, because like you all laugh at Trump, the rest of the World laughs at that indecisive dried up old prune!!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BritGuyUSA ->
I think you got the wrong end of the stick with "national humiliation" because the Government have humiliated the people by not following a Democratic vote by the people, therefore humiliating them, & the nation in the eyes of the World.
Perhaps you should read up some of the facts, before forming an opinion.

By law a member can leave the union by informing the council of this intention. The UK did. Leaving takes place by negotiating a withdrwawal agreement. That may take up to two years, when the membership ends by default.
May negotiated such a withdrawal agreement, only to have her legs cut from under her by her own parliament. That was an internal and an international humiliation.

Even worse, parliament told the government that they didn't want the deal, but was unable to tell what they DID want. Still worse, only then did they start thinking and debating about the manner to leave.

UK is humiliated, yes, but by their parliament. First of all because they vetoed the only sensible way to leave the EU. Secondly because that same parliament by infighting and party politics cannot come to a joint decision, shaming one of the proudest nations on earth.
Lay your blame where it should be, with british parliament and their ways.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Does anyone know whether the voting for your mep's is the same as for your regional mp's.
Do mep's in europarliament represent a constituency or the UK as a whole?
No idea but who cares what they do or don't do? I for one will be spoiling my vote along with Britwelshproud. Is there really any point in voting for anything ever again?

Why should we vote for MEPs when we should be leaving? The vote itself will waste £105M.
BritGuyUSA
United States
BritGuyUSA is male 

12-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perhaps you should read up some of the facts, before forming an opinion.
Perhaps l wasn't talking to you in my last post!

Also, congrats on your adaptation of the English language!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

12-04-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BritGuyUSA ->
Perhaps l wasn't talking to you in my last post!

Also, congrats on your adaptation of the English language!
English is the main language in the EU. After brexit the french language may return to it's former glory.

If your post was on how brexit is regarded in usa, americans are mostly ignorant about the functioning of their own authorities. So why bother.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by BritishWelshProud ->

It Has become a national humiliation with Mrs May Leading us down this path - trying to please everybody but pleasing nobody.

Surely even the people who voted remain can see what this debacle is doing to our democracy.

I feel so strongly about this at 58 years of age - I shall never vote again.

But unlike some who say "I will never vote again" and mean that they either will not register or will not go to the polling station, I will go to every single election and SPOIL my vote.

This way, my vote will be registered as a spoiled vote and recorded as such.
I don't think that a spoiled vote is the way to go and I am not sure of the UK Electoral Law but here it is possible to cast a perfectly valid vote even if you also write on the ballot paper as long as the voter's intention is clear.

Also not sure about 'humiliation'. Certainly Brexit has made the UK Parliament an international laughing stock. I suspect it will take an herculean effort for any other government to even come close to making such a complete balls up while at the same time managing to further divide an already divided nation.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 05:47 AM

The rest of the world thinks the British are bonkers for wanting to leave the EU. The balls up that has been made in trying to do just that is as an American friend of mine put it “an amusing sideshow”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top