Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 01:41 AM

Roast Chicken with Polenta and Wild Mushroom Sauce

This one is a cracker. I've only done it once but (touch wood) it worked out a treat.

INGREDIENTS
• 1 chicken (2kg)
• 500 gm duck or goose fat
• 20 gm softened butter
• 100 ml thickened cream, whisked to soft peaks
Mushroom stock
• 500 gm each button and field mushrooms, coarsely chopped
• 500 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
• 375 ml white wine
• 375 ml Madeira
• 3 golden shallots, coarsely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 6 thyme sprigs
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• 3 black peppercorns
Persillade
• 100 ml olive oil
• 50 gm fresh coarse breadcrumbs from white bread
• 2 tbsp curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp thyme leaves
Polenta
• 50 ml olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 200 gm fine yellow polenta
• 200 ml dry white wine
• 1.2 litres chicken stock, hot
• 50 gm Grana Padano (You can also use block Parmesan) finely grated
• 100 gm cold unsalted butter, diced

METHOD
Preheat oven to 140C. Cut legs from chicken and set aside. Cut neck, wishbone and wingtips and discard. Remove backbone with poultry scissors and discard, leaving just the breast on the bone. Starting at the neck end, separate skin from breast with your fingertips, then refrigerate until required.
Heat fat in a large casserole over medium heat to 120C. Season chicken legs with sea salt, add to casserole, cover with foil and lid, then cook in oven, turning occasionally, until meat starts to fall from the bone (1-1½ hours). Remove from oven, cool to room temperature, then remove legs from fat and refrigerate until required. (Fat can be strained through a fine sieve and refrigerated for another use.)3
Meanwhile, for mushroom stock, combine ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and simmer until infused (1½ hours). Strain through a fine sieve into a saucepan (discard solids), simmer over medium heat until reduced by two-thirds (20-25 minutes), set aside.
• 4. Increase oven to 180C. For persillade, process ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped. Carefully push persillade underneath skin of chicken breast, ensuring it’s evenly distributed, then rub butter over skin and season to taste. Place on an oven tray and roast until cooked through (50 minutes-1 hour; cover with foil if browning too quickly). Transfer to a wire rack, cover with foil and set aside to rest in a warm place.
• 5. Meanwhile, for polenta, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and sautι until tender (7-10 minutes). Add polenta, then wine, whisking continuously until wine is evaporated (1-2 minutes). Add half the stock, whisking continuously, until absorbed, then add remaining stock, whisking continuously until polenta is tender (20-30 minutes; add more stock if necessary). Add cheese and butter, season to taste, set aside, keep warm.
• 6 .Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add chicken legs, season to taste and cook, turning once, until golden and warmed through (5-7 minutes each side). Place on a wire rack with chicken breast, cover with foil and keep warm.
• 7. Heat mushroom stock over medium heat, add cream and bring to the boil, whisking continuously for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and season to taste.
• 8. To serve, remove chicken breast from bone, cut into even pieces. Divide polenta among bowls, top with chicken pieces, season to taste, drizzle with mushroom sauce and serve hot.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 06:12 AM

Re: Roast Chicken with Polenta and Wild Mushroom Sauce

Don't know how to edit posts. So I'll just add a footnote. The above recipe is from Cafe Vue, Melbourne.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 06:52 AM

No idea what persillade is, and although I'm sure it's delicious I'd be just too lazy to follow such a long recipe, not to mention shopping around for all those ingredients.

On the other hand, I love polenta which you can buy ready made. My Italian mum would slice it, fry in a little oil and add melted cheese. Wonderful - as I'm sure your meal is too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 08:11 AM

I'm more of a buy a chicken stuff it in the oven kinda gal....I'm sure your recipe is delicious though
keezoy
Australia

24-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Hahaha. Its all good Summer. There's a "buy a chicken and stuff it in the oven" kinda guy inside me too. If I was on my own I think I might not even be that. Probably be in one of the local eateries having the lot done for me. BUt for better or worse I am the "king of the kitchen" and my wife, mother in law and son have gotten very used to the fine fare so I am trapped in the role. Eccles a persillade is a seasoning of parsley, garlic, oil vinegar and butter also if you want. YOu can use ginger and other herbs. Whatever you like.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 09:56 AM

You certainly make some lovely sounding meals Keezoy. Are you a chef or just interested in cooking?
keezoy
Australia

24-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Hey Longdogs.
Am I a chef?..Absolutely not..haha. No I just love cooking. After music I guess it's my main hobby. I love spicy but healthy foods; lots of salads, vegetables and fruit with not too much red meat. Lots of Asian stuff and seafood.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hey Longdogs.
Am I a chef?..Absolutely not..haha. No I just love cooking. After music I guess it's my main hobby. I love spicy but healthy foods; lots of salads, vegetables and fruit with not too much red meat. Lots of Asian stuff and seafood.
You certainly make the effort Keezoy. If ever I'm in Oz, I will look you up.
keezoy
Australia

25-04-2019, 03:52 AM

Absolutely Longdogs. We would be happy to treat you to a good old "nosh" - home cooked/ or restaurant - and show you around Sydney.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 04:02 AM

A man who can cook.
Well well.
We need pictures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top