Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Re: Looking up symptoms on the web

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
Does anyone have the awful habit of looking up symptoms onthe web and then frightening themselves to death. I try not to do it but can't resist sometimes - must stop doing it.
Not a hypochondriac but am sure I have something
Have you evre checked your messages after you have posted them and found a mistake?
Imagine if the symptoms that you are reading about has a similar mistake in the diagnosis. Instead of saying take 2 paracetamols every four hours it said take 20 paracetamols every four hours, Oops.
Like rosemary says 'A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing'.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I did look up ruptered achilles tendon and said `oh shit`. The advice was to get help asap and I had been hobbling around in India for 10 days with one.

Luckily for me I had a wonderful surgeon who stitched it all back together.

He did say "that was very messy but I am an expert in this type of injury" bless, there is nothing like confidence in one`s ability
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
I never do that - a little knowledge is too much knowledge!
I'm the same as you Brandykins, you know the old saying ' Stare into a hole long enough and something will stare back at you'. It's bad enough to find out you've got what you hoped you hadn't without worrying about what comes next.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Some one recommended a book to me called How to stop your doctor killing you, written by a doctor. It has good reviews on Amazon, a couple of them written by Dr's who thought they would be seriously upset about the content of the book.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
Does anyone have the awful habit of looking up symptoms onthe web and then frightening themselves to death. I try not to do it but can't resist sometimes - must stop doing it.
Not a hypochondriac but am sure I have something
Someone told me about Aspertin (It's an artificial sweetner) he said it was deadly so I looked on the web, the fact is there is no definitive verdict either way. The British Medical Association official journel 'The Lancet' carried out a study of the available web pages with that word in it and even they were surprised at how many pages there were on Google.

But having 60,000 pages on Google does not make a product either good or bad.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top