Join for free
Page 10 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

My brother has some fairly old Excel files that he opens in Libre Office but says that, although they can be opened and read, the cells look squashed up. I don't know if that would be the case with other MS Office alternatives.

McAfee? Opinions vary a lot on AV programs and I've never tried McAfee. Maybe keep it until the trial is up to see how it behaves. Give yourself some research and thinking time.

The trouble with AV programs is that they get so deep into the system that it's hard to remove all traces of them if you ever want to change to a different one. Even after using the removal tools that most AV software sellers provide, it's still often possible to find Registry entries that have been made by the program.

That said, McAfee doesn't do so badly in AV tests these days and you might decide to keep it ..it would cost though.

Some don't put faith in comparison sites but here's the AV-Comparatives test results for various AV programs:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

..and AV-Test:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...0/august-2018/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
My brother has some fairly old Excel files that he opens in Libre Office but says that, although they can be opened and read, the cells look squashed up. I don't know if that would be the case with other MS Office alternatives.
I'm afraid I don't know much about that as I haven't tried spreadsheets in LibreOffice. Is there no way of enlarging the cells, or the whole image on the screen. I can do that with some programmes (eg, Photoshop) using Ctrl +

McAfee? Opinions vary a lot on AV programs and I've never tried McAfee. Maybe keep it until the trial is up to see how it behaves. Give yourself some research and thinking time.
I have a distinct dislike of McAfee, having found it sneaking in with such things as Malwarebytes updates. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:06 PM

I don't know for sure if my brother has tried Control+ JBR but he's been into computers for very long time, so he probably would have done.

I used Libre Office for quite a while and found documents created in MS Word with tables in them weren't faithfully reproduced. Table size, positioning and text placement were all a bit out. That was a few years ago though and maybe this would be better in the latest versions.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:49 PM

I don't know for sure if my brother has tried Control+ JBR but he's been into computers for very long time, so he probably would have done.

I used Libre Office for quite a while and found documents created in MS Word with tables in them weren't faithfully reproduced. Table size, positioning and text placement were all a bit out. That was a few years ago though and maybe this would be better in the latest versions.
Yes, of course.

I haven't used Libre Office very much, so my experience is very limited.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Just had a text and email from AO to telling me that 'Sabrimnt' will be delivering my order this afternoon......Yes I know, an unusual name.....

Thanks JB and Mart, but I'm still worried that any other office software might not open my spreadsheets and databases satisfactorily, I really do have a lot these, and because I know my way around Excel and Word, I can usually knock up a database or spreadsheet in next to no time. I would hate to have to waste time re educating myself with strange new software. I will report in due course my progress with the new laptop.....

I know that I'm going to get scolded by all you tech savvy guys when I say that after deleting 'Norton' from both of my computers, I have run the last five years without a security system installed at all, other than Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, and had no problems....Like you have said Mart, I found it embedded in just about everything I do, and I hate the constant messages. I consider it invasive, time wasting and fear mongering.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just had a text and email from AO to telling me that 'Sabrimnt' will be delivering my order this afternoon......Yes I know, an unusual name.....

Thanks JB and Mart, but I'm still worried that any other office software might not open my spreadsheets and databases satisfactorily, I really do have a lot these, and because I know my way around Excel and Word, I can usually knock up a database or spreadsheet in next to no time. I would hate to have to waste time re educating myself with strange new software. I will report in due course my progress with the new laptop.....

I know that I'm going to get scolded by all you tech savvy guys when I say that after deleting 'Norton' from both of my computers, I have run the last five years without a security system installed at all, other than Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, and had no problems....Like you have said Mart, I found it embedded in just about everything I do, and I hate the constant messages. I consider it invasive, time wasting and fear mongering.....
I quite understand your reluctance to use something you find unfamiliar. I found the same when I was looking for alternatives to Photoshop Elements, so shelled out £60 for a new version.

As for Norton, that software has (or perhaps had?) a lot of criticism for taking over systems and refusing to be uninstalled.
I, too, rely on Windows Defender and the inbuilt firewall. I avoid patently risky web sites and, touch wood (my head), have remained perfectly safe so far.
On the other hand, I also use Malwarebytes (free!) and CCleaner (free!) which I'm sure help.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks JB, glad to report that new laptop has arrived and I've done some preliminary work on it to make it useful to me without all of the rubbish that they send pre loaded nowadays.
I've deleted Macafee, and 0ther things that I will never use. I have managed to silence Cortana but seem unable to uninstall her....I've also deleted the trial version of office 360. In an attempt to take advantage of the one month free trial they required my credit/Debit card details......Not bloody likely...

I seem unable to stop updates also, it states in the conditions that you must accept them, so that's work in progress. Apart from wanting to know more information about me than Mrs Fox does, so far I'm liking windows 10, but it's early days yet.

It didn't like me using google chrome for my default browser either.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-11-2018, 09:46 PM

I've deleted Macafee, and 0ther things that I will never use. I have managed to silence Cortana but seem unable to uninstall her....I've also deleted the trial version of office 360. In an attempt to take advantage of the one month free trial they required my credit/Debit card details......Not bloody likely...
Very sensible. I can't uninstall Cortana either; I just ignore her!

I seem unable to stop updates also, it states in the conditions that you must accept them, so that's work in progress. Apart from wanting to know more information about me than Mrs Fox does, so far I'm liking windows 10, but it's early days yet.
I have got round that for several weeks by lying that I am on a metered connection. I keep receiving messages that they are unable to update my system, which I also ignore.

It didn't like me using google chrome for my default browser either.....
No, they seem to want us to use Edge. Yes, you guessed it: I ignore that too!
I have used Chrome for quite some time now and have no problems.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-11-2018, 10:09 PM

Do you think it can still monitor our computers when they are shut down JB?

Getting started on windows 10 is more thorough than any operating system I've ever used before. It seems to think for itself......
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-11-2018, 10:28 PM

Do you think it can still monitor our computers when they are shut down JB?
It wouldn't surprise me!

Page 10 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top