Join for free
Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Thankyou Bakerman,I shall save it to my recipes and give it a whirl
Why mustnt the egg whites be in contact with any plastic?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Of course they are pies, technically or otherwise. But if you intend on giving me a hard time about it, I'll agree that they are soups or salads or canapes .

Why do you think everyone is out to give you a hard time ?

Why don’t you keep a civil tongue in your head and think about the actual question and not jump down my throat

A pie encases a filling completely

In fact there was some controversy last year because a Cornish pasty won the national pie competition

Anything that is just a pastry base is usually called either a flan or a quiche

Hence my question

No one is getting at you and as a chef I would expect you to know a darn sight more about world cuisine then you do. Even I am capable of giving you an American definition for an English term without getting on my high horse
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->

Thankyou Bakerman,I shall save it to my recipes and give it a whirl
Why mustnt the egg whites be in contact with any plastic?

I have forgotten the exact chemical reason but plastic can interfer with the forming of a meringue.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Why do you think everyone is out to give you a hard time ?

Why don’t you keep a civil tongue in your head and think about the actual question and not jump down my throat

A pie encases a filling completely

In fact there was some controversy last year because a Cornish pasty won the national pie competition

Anything that is just a pastry base is usually called either a flan or a quiche

Hence my question

No one is getting at you and as a chef I would expect you to know a darn sight more about world cuisine then you do. Even I am capable of giving you an American definition for an English term without getting on my high horse

People, British people, have given me nothing but grief regarding what bacon is, what a sandwich is, and now Galty gave me a hard time about what a pie is. ie us "colonials" couldn't possible know as much as a Brit. You just did it TWICE !
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:31 PM

No, you think we are giving you are hard time

We see it as a discussion

We have different cuts, we have different terminology

No one gave you a hard time, more that you jumped down the throat of anyone who dared disagree

These are discussion boards. If you only wish to dictate perhaps only have threads in self moderated so as you can pick and chose who replies and anything you don’t like you can delete
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 12:42 PM

These are discussion boards. If you only wish to dictate perhaps only have threads in self moderated so as you can pick and chose who replies and anything you don’t like you can delete
Aye that seems a sensible solution to all of this Bakerman as that's what the self moderated threads are there for..keeping the riff raff who don't agree with everything You say, OUT,
bakerman
Mexico

09-08-2018, 12:46 PM

No, you think we are giving you are hard time

We see it as a discussion

We have different cuts, we have different terminology

No one gave you a hard time, more that you jumped down the throat of anyone who dared disagree

I don't see it as a discussion. I see it as British arrogance attempting to dictate to an ignorant "colonial". Suggestion: don't try that with a French chef. He'll sort you out right quickly. And then hand you your head on a platter, in aspic.

Most posters have been polite and friendly, some however, have been exceedingly snobby.

The 1st thing I ever learned at the knee of my French mentor. "don't screw with the chef".
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Give me a freakin break , will ya. Let's not go down that ridiculous path of defining words. If you chose to think a pie is not a desert, fine. Just don't give me any grief about a British definition of what is or is not a pie. Get it ?
Apple pie etc are a dessert at the same time as being a pie. It's something you eat following your main meal.

A Cornish pastie isn't a pie, it's a savoury snack like a sausage roll.

What about a pork pie then?

Should I go away politely?
bakerman
Mexico

09-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Apple pie etc are a dessert at the same time as being a pie. It's something you eat following your main meal.
Thank God, here is another person who knows what a pie is. I have no problem calling a meat pie, a pie. My only complaint is with those who insist that my pies are not real pies.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 02:14 PM

So what's beef wellington then?

And what's cottage pie?

I'm waiting for a thread about ...Cakes.
Jaffa cakes and pontefract cakes.

Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top