Join for free
Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 07:16 AM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Linda, It is quite difficult to discus various food items when so many insist that the British way of speaking and naming items is the one, and only way, and that Americans are little more than backward children who need the school master's stick to get us back in line. I have never understood that kind of arrogance.

I even had one poster who said that America had to be taught how to cook by Gordon Ramsey and without his guidance we would still be cooking over an open fire like cave dwelling savages.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Gordon Ramsey is a foul mouthed yob whose ego greatly exceeds his talent.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Linda, It is quite difficult to discus various food items when so many insist that the British way of speaking and naming items is the one, and only way, and that Americans are little more than backward children who need the school master's stick to get us back in line. I have never understood that kind of arrogance.

I even had one poster who said that America had to be taught how to cook by Gordon Ramsey and without his guidance we would still be cooking over an open fire like cave dwelling savages.
Linda put up a pretty good list of the differences over what we each call different foods.
No one is insisting one way is correct .. because for both it is correct to them.

If anyone is arrogant it is you. When you've got uppity you've dragged in, on various threads, digs about the British Empire and WW2 etc etc ...
Which have nothing to do with food.

Just accept the difference. No one is challenging American world supremacy over a biscuit or a cookie.
Chill Bakerman and don't take differences as a personal slight or an act of war against the USA.
I think you could have had a great discussion over foods going here without feeling the need to bivouac in the self-mod section.
Surely the common denominator should have been about the mutual enjoyment of food preparation and exchange of recipes ?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
If anyone is arrogant it is you. When you've got uppity you've dragged in, on various threads, digs about the British Empire and WW2 etc etc ...
"You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment." .....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Me neither ... ... just off to rummage in me sewing basket for that zipper for my mouth.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
There are some people who buy ready made frozen, beef pot pies and chicken pot pies, but few people make them. I don't bother.
My Dear Wife makes a lovely chicken pot pie.

Have you ever had a Scotch Pie?

I did but then I grew up in Scotland. Our local chippy had them. Local was six miles away.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Linda put up a pretty good list of the differences over what we each call different foods.
No one is insisting one way is correct .. because for both it is correct to them.

Which have nothing to do with food.

Just accept the difference. No one is challenging American world supremacy over a biscuit or a cookie.
Chill Bakerman and don't take differences as a personal slight or an act of war against the USA.
I think you could have had a great discussion over foods going here without feeling the need to bivouac in the self-mod section.
Surely the common denominator should have been about the mutual enjoyment of food preparation and exchange of recipes ?
For goodness sakes Mort, I thought you were always the one to try to make peace between members of a forum. Since I got back in town and reading this forum, it seems you are in a new roll of taking sides..

Dont say this:

"No one is insisting one way is correct .. because for both it is correct to them."

You don't know what "others" are meaning..
You did the same thing to me but I let it go because I like you...

Now, stop taking sides in every argument on here, and go back to being the "peace maker", it looks better on you Mort......

IMHO, I think Bakerman is an asset to this forum and I have watched how some people try to discourage him at every corner, running down the Americans, etc etc etc.

Bakerman, it is hard (VERY HARD) to get accepted on OFF, you have to fight your way through the mobs day after day, before they finally accept you....hang in there, it gets easier after a while....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
My Dear Wife makes a lovely chicken pot pie.

Have you ever had a Scotch Pie?

I did but ten I grew up in Scotland. Our local chippy had them. Local was six miles away.
Used to be able to get them , albeit frozen ... haven't seen them for ages but they are scrumptious, with a very distinctive flavour.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Just as a matter of interest do Walls still make those revolting cold meat pies? There was only one that I could force down in moments of severe starvation though I can't remember which variety.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Bakerman,

When my son was home and I was working, I would sometimes have to make a quick pie and didn't have any crust in the freezer. There was a "quicky" I made in a hurry.

I put all the ingredients in a bowl, mixed it all up together, put it in the pie plate and baked it. Came out a great little custard pie with a crust on the bottom and a delicious custard.

I know it wasn't the best pie in the world, but it worked for my son and his friends in a pinch.

Have you ever heard of this? And if so, would you mind giving me the recipe?

Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top