Join for free
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 02:39 PM

Should I do it?

I want to put a bollard at the bottom of my short driveway to prevent a neighbour using my drive to reverse on.

I don't get on with this man. A few years ago we had a massive row over parking rights. It's too complicated to explain but this bully of a man - middle aged old rocker - bald head - hair long & straggly at the back - covered in tattoos & piercings, enormous belly in tight t shirt (get the picture) man told me if I did what I intended to do (On my own property) he would block me & not let me get out of my garage.

After much bother & looking at deeds it all quietened down eventually, mostly thanks to Ady my son who owns the property next door. (Flats with car park) He assured the neighbours he would leave the gates to his car park open so they could reverse there.

However, the man who bullied me still uses my drive to reverse his car & I think it's like rubbing my nose in it.

Hence my decision to install a bollard. It might fire him up again. Do I want this? Am I prepared? - not really! He's a great strapping bully & I'm an OAP. Tony is no help at all due to his progressing alzheimer's.

Ady of course would come to my help but he isn't there all the time.

I have seen a tradesman this morning about installing a bollard for me. A good heavy one made of galvanised steel and arrangements have been made.

Given the circumstances I wondered what members on here would have done in my situation?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Re: Should I do it?

Originally Posted by carol ->
I want to put a bollard at the bottom of my short driveway to prevent a neighbour using my drive to reverse on.

I don't get on with this man. A few years ago we had a massive row over parking rights. It's too complicated to explain but this bully of a man - middle aged old rocker - bald head - hair long & straggly at the back - covered in tattoos & piercings, enormous belly in tight t shirt (get the picture) man told me if I did what I intended to do (On my own property) he would block me & not let me get out of my garage.

After much bother & looking at deeds it all quietened down eventually, mostly thanks to Ady my son who owns the property next door. (Flats with car park) He assured the neighbours he would leave the gates to his car park open so they could reverse there.

However, the man who bullied me still uses my drive to reverse his car & I think it's like rubbing my nose in it.

Hence my decision to install a bollard. It might fire him up again. Do I want this? Am I prepared? - not really! He's a great strapping bully & I'm an OAP. Tony is no help at all due to his progressing alzheimer's.

Ady of course would come to my help but he isn't there all the time.

I have seen a tradesman this morning about installing a bollard for me. A good heavy one made of galvanised steel and arrangements have been made.

Given the circumstances I wondered what members on here would have done in my situation?

As long as you own your land, then you can put a bollard up....I had to put one up on my private allocated space,...cost nearly a £ 1,000...it has been hit a few times, one time resulting in the guy, losing the whole front of his bumper, caught on cctv, luckily he didn’t damage my bollard..if he had, I would have taken it further.

It’s been up nearly 2 yrs, best decision I ever made....no one messes with my bollard anymore!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 02:51 PM

Good results Pauline.

Yes I know I'm legally entitled to put a bollard up on my own land. It's just facing the wrath of bully boy that frightens me a bit.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 02:58 PM

I would be careful ,TBH once a bully always a bully !
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 03:00 PM

It doesn’t bother me, if they reverse into my space, they still do that, to turn around....

I had it installed because they kept parking in my space....or not giving me enough room to get into my space...it’s at the side of my parking space ,so that they can’t park further over, then stop me parking up.....

If all he is doing is reversing and not causing you any other problems....then no I wouldn’t have it done.....just to get one over on him......maybe a few yrs back, I would have done that......up to you though,Carol.....

Edit to add.....I also have 2 no parking stencils, that I sprayed onto the ground of the space plus the access land.....huge no parking......stencils they are.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 03:00 PM

I am not sure what the situation is Carol, but won't the bollard prevent you and your family from using your drive ?:confused

Is the man causing damage to your drive?

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting him to stop using your drive, but if it is only for a few seconds to allow him to move his car more easily, I feel that it may cause more problems for you, if he is a bully type.

You obviously know him better than me, but I always think anything that creates problems between yourself and your neighbours can cause frequent problems in the future.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

19-01-2021, 03:03 PM

The alternative is to give in and let the bully rub my nose in it.

I'm the kind of person who would rather fight for my rights than give in. It doesn't mean I'm not a bit afraid though.

I've been wondering if the police could give him a warning to leave me alone.....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 03:06 PM

Good results Pauline.

Yes I know I'm legally entitled to put a bollard up on my own land. It's just facing the wrath of bully boy that frightens me a bit.:cry:

Yes, that's what I'd be worrying about too Carol.

The only suggestion I can offer that might be of any help is that it sounds like you might have the backing of your son should this chap resort to bullying you.

Would he be amenable to confronting this bully on your behalf if anything kicks off?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

19-01-2021, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am not sure what the situation is Carol, but won't the bollard prevent you and your family from using your drive ?:confused
(
It would be the kind of bollard that can be laid flat when we need to get out of the garage & put back upright. Operated manually. Locked with a key.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2021, 03:07 PM

The alternative is to give in and let the bully rub my nose in it.

I'm the kind of person who would rather fight for my rights than give in. It doesn't mean I'm not a bit afraid though.

I've been wondering if the police could give him a warning to leave me alone.....

Unfortunately,I don’t think the police can warn him, because it’s your word against his.

My dealings with a nasty neighbour were caught on my camera...and what he did......the police got involved..viewed the footage.....visited him.....told him to have no contact with me, whatsoever......he took note and has never bothered me since.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top