Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 10:11 PM

Facebook Bans News Content

Facebook will restrict publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content.

The announcement comes in response to proposed new laws in Australia that would force tech companies to negotiate with media companies over how much to pay them for news content.

The move would also prevent people overseas from sharing Australian content on the social media site.

The laws have passed the federal lower house and are due to go before the Senate.

Sod 'em.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:18 PM

Re: Facebook Bans News Content

Oh my god!!..The world is ending. No news on Facebook!!?..whatever are we to do!.....Answer. What we did before. Get off our arses and go buy a newspaper. Listen to the radio. etc etc. Mark Zookerbong can go and bite his bum.... Bloody greedy little tosser. Oh it's much more complicated than that is it?..BS!..We told China to shove their threats where the sun doesn't shine. What makes Facebook so special.. I agree Bruce. Sod em.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:23 PM

Didn't think Facebookers gave a flying F..k about the News.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Didn't think Facebookers gave a flying F..k about the News.
Sadly, I agree with you. Not the real news, just altered posts, news, and pics. I've deleted many friends who weren't as intelligent and I formerly thought they were. Thinking they could tell fact from fiction on the legit news informants, but they weren't listening, reading, absorbing....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Oh my god!!..The world is ending. No news on Facebook!!?..whatever are we to do!.....Answer. What we did before. Get off our arses and go buy a newspaper. Listen to the radio. etc etc. Mark Zookerbong can go and bite his bum.... Bloody greedy little tosser. Oh it's much more complicated than that is it?..BS!..We told China to shove their threats where the sun doesn't shine. What makes Facebook so special.. I agree Bruce. Sod em.
Or talk to people?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Or talk to people?
Yes you're right Annie. We can always do that. I do and always have. I'm not even on Facebook. My wife is but I never have been. But the issue here is not the actual person to person contact. That has not changed. It's news feeds. BUt FB has also closed access to stuff like fire and flood information, COVID updates, information about disability services and lots of other community service information. This information can be obtained from other sources of course but many people depend on Facebook for everything. But we can live without them. And Google if necessary although our Government has struck a deal with them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 04:42 AM

Google threatened but seems to have pulled its head in.

Personally I don't care if Google went because I use DuckDuckGo, as for Facebook, well I could live without it but so many media organisations have staff employed expressly to post on social media. it will be interesting to see who blinks first.

There were reports early this morning that charities had been blocked on Facebook because of the news ban.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 08:26 AM

Just goes to show how fragile all the systems we rely on are. My pet doomsday prediction is complete reliance on an internet based infrastructure which then fails.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Just goes to show how fragile all the systems we rely on are. My pet doomsday prediction is complete reliance on an internet based infrastructure which then fails.
I've done many disaster recovery surveys of IT infrastructure.

The most common cause of failure is people.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

18-02-2021, 11:24 AM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top