Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:56 PM

Did the Earth move?

Down, Dongles, I didn't mean that!

I can remember a time when the hottest part of the day was between midday and about 2:00pm. Recently though things have changed - a lot - and it is much hotter in the evenings.

Having been cloudy here all day - it has suddenly blossomed forth into scorching hot, unrelenting, sunshine. I am going out tonight - slathered factor 50 sunblock. How silly is that?

Has someone tilted the Earth in some way? Who do we blame? Even Boris the Barmy isn't that clever!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:59 PM

Re: Did the Earth move?

I agree with you Tabby - although here in the West of Scotland, it has always got hotter and sunnier in the evenings. It annoyed me so much, because it was often too late to do anything fun. Its almost 6pm now and a roasting 23 degrees. Its to hot to take the dog anywhere and I'm not good with the heat anyway, so...bleugh to that. Have a great night anyway!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Factor 50 !!!? Goodness gracious me . Well you said it so yes I agree, silly ,
it won’t last long . Rather you’ll get extra Vit D !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:06 PM

I read somewhere a while ago, that the Earth has actually tilted on its axis, and that is the real reason for climate change.

No idea if there is any truth in that or not. Perhaps the scientists amongst us will enlighten us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I can remember a time when the hottest part of the day was between midday and about 2:00pm. Recently though things have changed - a lot - and it is much hotter in the evenings.

Having been cloudy here all day - it has suddenly blossomed forth into scorching hot, unrelenting, sunshine. I am going out tonight - slathered factor 50 sunblock. How silly is that?

Has someone tilted the Earth in some way? Who do we blame? Even Boris the Barmy isn't that clever!
My late OH always said the Earth has tilted a few degrees. I have photo's of sunsets over the years from when we moved here in 1973 & taken at aprox the same day/time for those years & it certainly looks to me as if the Earth has moved a bit. Also the sun sets much further to the North than it did before. I can track it right around my garden, but can no longer get the sunset from my window in high Summer.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:30 PM

I am glad it is not just me then!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

15-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Factor 50 !!!? Goodness gracious me . Well you said it so yes I agree, silly ,
it won’t last long . Rather you’ll get extra Vit D !
Yes - otherwise I would come home with a suntan - I tan very easily.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:49 PM

Yes - otherwise I would come home with a suntan - I tan very easily.
I bet you have had your hide tanned a few times.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:02 PM

I've noticed that - it's unbearable cutting the grass late afternoons. Perhaps it's the cleaner air making the difference, as the reduced pollution isn't scattering the sun's rays as much?

Another thing to consider is that you live in Yorkshire, where the sun always shines.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:16 PM

I have no specific scientific information about the Earth tilting occasionally. However, it does make a great deal of sense when you stop to consider that the Earth has gone though so many ice ages, warming trends and then more ice ages.

Back some 25,000 years ago the northern half of North America was covered in ice up to a mile thick. This blocked humans from entering North America. Moreover, there were dozens of species of fauna that are now extinct. Wooly Mammoths, horses, camels, dire wolves, the short faced bear, giant ground sloths, saber-toothed tigers, and Mastodons. As the climate changed, the flora changed and those species could not keep up with the dramatic changes.

The only reason why that ice age ended was a tilting of the earths axis. I see no reason why it would be any different today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top