Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 07:49 PM

Re: Why Do Some People Wear Hi-Vis Jackets All Year Round?

Hi vis jackets,vests, I have never ever noticed anyone wearing them,let alone wear them all year round....maybe my eye is drawn elsewhere. who knows.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:00 PM

You will find many people wear hi viz jackets all year round because they are very very durable, cheap, come in large sizes, are very comfy, keep the wearer very warm and keep the wind and cold out and wipe off dirt very easily and the best thing is, the jackets are not cheap knock offs, they are the genuine article.

I walk and use public transport to work which means I am exposed to the weather elements, public transport can be messy which means your coat can get messy at times. When it rains, the occasional splash occurs from cars hitting puddles in the road whilst your walking on the path at the side of the road.

I have one of the coats and wear it most of the year. It keeps me dry and warm and best of all it only cost me £15 from a workwear dealer. The jacket is made by PortWest, a well known maker of work clothing. I tried looking for rain jackets in my size and they were costing upwards of £40-£60. I wasn't going to pay that kind of money for something I knew could get damaged easily. Someone at work suggested I look at work wear and found these hi viz jackets/coats. For £15 for a coat that does everything I need of a jacket/coat, I have no qualms wearing it for most of the year.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Any pics? ST.

I wonder if they do hi-viz stuff for cats?
Yes - they do - but mine wouldn't wear one!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mynwood-Cat...ag=googhydr-21
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
You will find many people wear hi viz jackets all year round because they are very very durable, cheap, come in large sizes, are very comfy, keep the wearer very warm and keep the wind and cold out and wipe off dirt very easily and the best thing is, the jackets are not cheap knock offs, they are the genuine article.

I walk and use public transport to work which means I am exposed to the weather elements, public transport can be messy which means your coat can get messy at times. When it rains, the occasional splash occurs from cars hitting puddles in the road whilst your walking on the path at the side of the road.

I have one of the coats and wear it most of the year. It keeps me dry and warm and best of all it only cost me £15 from a workwear dealer. The jacket is made by PortWest, a well known maker of work clothing. I tried looking for rain jackets in my size and they were costing upwards of £40-£60. I wasn't going to pay that kind of money for something I knew could get damaged easily. Someone at work suggested I look at work wear and found these hi viz jackets/coats. For £15 for a coat that does everything I need of a jacket/coat, I have no qualms wearing it for most of the year.
No doubt true Dodge. It doesn't explain those thin ones for a quid which loads of people wear. Unless, of course, some people wear them for their waterproofing properties (thus keeping parts of their normal clothing/coats dry), a bit like that mad thing of putting a plastic runner over carpets.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:24 PM

Thank You Morti and Jazzi for confirming l haven’t lost the plot....yet!

I remember a few years ago, posting on here about an elderly lady behind me in the queue at the checkout in Tescos. She was wearing a Hi-Vis jacket which seemed a bit odd at the time and she was holding a carrier bag.
As, l was taking my receipt from the cashier, l turned to smile at the elderly lady. Just then she her lost grip of one of the handles of the carrier bag, exposing loads and loads of money notes in the bag.

Perhaps the poor old gal had got a mobility scooter outside?

I used to wear one when I walked my dogs after dark, but I don't do that anymore.
Also had to wear one in one job I was in a long time ago.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:25 PM

Any pics? ST.
This is mine.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 09:03 PM

I think they are great when it's dark out, dog walkers, joggers etc and probably good for construction workers although I'm sure they would be seen without wearing one. I see lots of people wearing them during the day and I wonder if it makes them feel more important?

At work, I am not allowed in the delivery area unless I am wearing a Hi Viz. I do wonder what would happen if I didn't. Would an alien space craft land on my head?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 09:46 PM

I always associated Hi-Vis jackets with construction workers or occupations where their visibility was important.
So why is it more and more men and women wear them all year round and they don’t even work in a job that requires them.

Ok cyclists would require them for visibility when say, riding their bicycle in the dark.
What l don’t understand are the ones who wear them like they do their everyday clothes.

Is this trend of wearing a Hi-Vis jacket becoming similar to the trend of those men that wear shorts all year round?

I find it rather odd but everyone to their own!

Do you have any views on this?
Ah Hem! And what's wrong with men wearing shorts all year round Arty...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Ah Hem! And what's wrong with men wearing shorts all year round Arty...

Oh Dear, l think, l am already in Dodge’s bad books, now yours!

Maybe, l should have shelved this idea for a thread?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 10:07 PM

Don't get me started on unnecessary Hard Hats.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top