Join for free
Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 01:48 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Gibraltar has effectively been "sorted" despite the words of a few disgruntled types, Fabian Picardo included.
Gibraltar, Spain and the UK are agreed and the treaty just needs the EU to get it's finger out and formalise the treaty that has been requested of it.

Ignore the bluster.
Surely we're used to it by now?
The EU will go ahead because of Spain, not just because of the Brexit deal.
Spain would throw a real wobbler if the EU caused them more financial difficulty, especially in these already-troubled times.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 05:06 PM

We seem to be drifting to British Overseas Territories so this seems an opportune moment to add this from today's Express:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...fishing-Macron

Just because we're going ahead with Singapore-on-Thames, the EU are trying to beat us into submission again.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We seem to be drifting to British Overseas Territories so this seems an opportune moment to add this from today's Express:

Just because we're going ahead with Singapore-on-Thames, the EU are trying to beat us into submission again.
More bluster and more buzzwords but other than that there's nothing of any substance in there whatsoever.

If you want something a bit more relevant to ordinary people, see a little bit further down in your link what John Redwood has been saying because suggestions like his would have far more impact on us.
I will link Redwood's original below.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2021/0...rn-its-living/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

I think the truth is that the EU, although they have agreed on this deal (which actually benefits them more than us) are still annoyed with us for having regained our sovereignty.

Consequently, they are doing all they can to make things as difficult for us as they can, from blacklisting our overseas territories to confiscating lorry drivers' ham sandwiches.

Actually, I believe they are still trying to translate the trade agreement into 27 or more languages before they can decide whether or not to agree it. At the same time, of course, they are happily taking our money - and our fish.

The fortunate thing is that more and more people are beginning to understand what the EU are really like. I have a distinct feeling that most of the British people will eventually realise that Boris has sold us short and will demand that we leave the EU's clutches in the way that we should have done at the end of 2020.

The unfortunate thing is that that may not happen until 2024, when the Reform UK party will have the opportunity to right this and many other wrongs which Boris and others have imposed on us.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-01-2021, 07:30 PM

You're spot-on about more people now understanding just what the EU are really like.

As for the last bit, we'll have to wait and see whether or not there are enough likeminded people at that time.
The signs so far are good that the country will prosper despite the few hiccoughs (and some vivid imaginations) but we all know by now how quickly things can change.

Four years is a long time and if indeed the country is doing even reasonably well by then I suspect that Reform UK is going to struggle to get any worthwhile support.
But time will tell.

*BTW*
I seem to recall seeing somewhere over these last few days that the EU were trying to delay signing the deal, supposedly because of delays in translation.
IIRC Boris has basically told them to get on with it without delays because we, the UK, agreed it quickly and they've had quite enough time.
Quite right too IMHO.

Ah yes, here we go:
' The end of February deadline for ratification is written into the deal, and both sides would need to agree for it to be changed.
“We and the EU agreed only last month to provisionally apply the EU-UK trade and co-operation agreement until 28 February,” said a UK government spokesperson. “The aim was to allow the EU a reasonable and proportionate length of time to ratify the agreement.” '

https://www.ft.com/content/a093a913-...2-8b5a55bf81c3

ETA
*Thinks*
Heh heh, this might be an opportune time to (ahem) "persuade" the EU to rethink certain customs & import details.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Four years is a long time and if indeed the country is doing even reasonably well by then I suspect that Reform UK is going to struggle to get any worthwhile support.
But time will tell.
Unless Boris undoes some of the things he has dropped on us, I for one will certainly be voting Reform UK.
I would have voted for the Brexit Party in the last GE had Boris not persuaded Nigel not to stand.

OK, so Boris got us out of the EU, but even I could have done that simply by waiting for the end of December!

IIRC Boris has basically told them to get on with it without delays because we, the UK, agreed it quickly and they've had quite enough time.
Quite right too IMHO.

The end of February deadline for ratification is written into the deal, and both sides would need to agree for it to be changed.
“We and the EU agreed only last month to provisionally apply the EU-UK trade and co-operation agreement until 28 February,” said a UK government spokesperson. “The aim was to allow the EU a reasonable and proportionate length of time to ratify the agreement.”

Heh heh, this might be an opportune time to (ahem) "persuade" the EU to rethink certain customs & import details.
I agree, but definitely no more backsliding. Again, I wouldn't have given them two months to translate the document.
Hell, I can translate English into just about any language within a few seconds per page - using Google translate!

I believe the EU were just, like everything else they do, 'trying it on'.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:07 AM

I will link Redwood's original below.

]
he's so out of touch - polytunnels? blah
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:09 AM

Shouldn't this all move to the politics section now we are out of the EU? I mean how long can you keep blaming the EU for our own problems?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Shouldn't this all move to the politics section now we are out of the EU? I mean how long can you keep blaming the EU for our own problems?
For as long as the whingers blame leaving the EU for every ill I should imagine.

Don't you have any comment to make upon the ongoing disputes as raised earlier?
In case you failed to notice, in effect until the EU ratify the deal we are not officially out - and they're looking to asking for an extension because, bless 'em, it might take them longer than the two months alloted to translate the thing into all those different languages.
The funny thing is that they could write the deal in English quickly enough when they wanted us to agree the deal.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
he's so out of touch - polytunnels? blah
Ah.
You don't know how some entrepeneur farmers in the UK already grow strawberries for just one example then?
Ask yourself why British strawberries are available for so much of the year.
We can see who is out of touch.

Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top