Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:17 PM

Bowel cancer screening

I have just been informed the usual bowel cancer screening tests are on their way by post.

I was quite surprised, what with the NHS's backlog with other work.

A bit unpleasant, but a worthwhile test I think.

Do you think it's worth participating?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:23 PM

Re: Bowel cancer screening

Definitely have it Mups, not only will the result give you peace of mind, they can also identify if there is something suspicious that may need investigating and could save your life.

I have done the test on two occasions and both came back clear .
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:27 PM

Definitely.

Over 100 new cases of bowel cancer are diagnosed every day in the UK but, as with many types of cancer, it is often curable if caught early enough.
I know it isn't nice but it's better to play safe.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:41 PM

Yes definitely, it's worthwhile...and the actual test is easier now, I've had about 3 tests , puts your mind at rest
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:14 PM

Please go ahead, Mups. As indicated in an earlier post, the new test is much simpler than the original one.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just been informed the usual bowel cancer screening tests are on their way by post.

I was quite surprised, what with the NHS's backlog with other work.

A bit unpleasant, but a worthwhile test I think.

Certainly.

My next colonoscopy test has been postponed for a while because of Covid but it's best to have it done despite the wait.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:24 PM

Hi

Yep, have it done.

I had it done when I was in hospital over Christmas.

It was the only one which came back normal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Always Mups..
How I wish the 'routine' test had been available to my niece's husband in his 40's, he went from fit and healthy to dead in 9 months leaving a wife and 3 sons.

He had a particularly virulent kind of bowel cancer that spread to his liver/lungs/bones at speed . It was easily detectable,if only he hadn't dismissed a little problem as hemorrhoids and sought an early diagnosis, he would almost certainly be here now.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:40 PM

I used to do it regularly but they stopped sending me a kit. In Scotland there is a cut off point if you are over a certain age. Don't know if it is the same in England.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:42 PM

I am 100% certain it is a worthwhile test and I recommend you submit the samples as soon as you can. If anything unexpected is highlighted you will be offered a colonoscopy and maybe even a gastroscopy whilst on the table as with my experience. Both scopes and biopsies were clear, so a great weight was lifted and 2&1/2yrs later on I'll still happy with the way the NHS sped my scope observations through. I'm soon due to receive the test strips again and I'll be delighted to post them off :yes: :thumbup:

Yes Mups, you go for it and be thankful our NHS is diligent with any follow-ups, even if its another strip test just to be sure because the 1st lot were inconclusive

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top