Join for free
Page 20 of 27 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Hi

I think you misunderstand.

I would not give the EU an inch.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Voluntarily both in order to show respect for the GFA and to maintain free trade with the EU - and this "control" can be terminated if we as a country choose to do so.
Unilaterally.
As you already know.
Yes, of course I already know. I live in hope that we will terminate this 'agreement', which seems to benefit them rather than us.

You didn't even acknowledge the obvious so I will ask you outright:
Would you rather sever ties with the EU completely and see potentially lartge numbers put out of work both here in the UK and in countries accross Europe?
Yes I would, and I don't believe it will put lartge(sic) numbers put out of work in the UK.
Do you have any evidence to support your assertion, other than hearsay?

As for countries across Europe, I really don't give a toss - especially France.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, of course I already know. I live in hope that we will terminate this 'agreement', which seems to benefit them rather than us.

Yes I would, and I don't believe it will put lartge(sic) numbers put out of work in the UK.

As for countries across Europe, I really don't give a toss - especially France.
How on Earth can you have evidence of something that hasn't happened?

But it doesn't take a genius to understand that a reduction in trade because of tariffs imposed by no deal would lead to job losses, surely?
Even the devout on both sides of the debate acknowledged that and we saw multiple warnings over the course of years from a huge variety of sources.
Surely you alone cannot have failed to see that?
That's not to say that we couldn't have recovered those jobs in time BTW, but there would certainly have been losses - probably very substantial ones, too.

Whether or not you care about these, about France or about anything else to do with Brexit is of no consequence whatsoever.
Fortunately there are quite enough sensible, rational people to ensure that what needs to be done will get done by voting accordingly.

For now Brexit is done.
We are out.
Anybody unhappy will have the chance to say so in around four years time.

My fat fingers sometimes lead to a spellunk error, hence your "sic".
What is your excuse for poor grammar with "it will put lartge(sic) numbers put out of work" ?
If you insist upon correcting grammar it might be wise to check your own first.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
hi

pretending things are well is not good.

We have problems

we are giving the eu an advandace.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/blog/...search+uk+2%29
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I think you misunderstand.

I would not give the EU an inch.
Oh I disagree.
Strongly.
We should give the EU our inches and refuse their centimetres.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 05:11 PM

Regarding earlier comments about eating more of what we produce ourselves or of us growing more of what we eat, there was an interesting piece in The Times this weekend which would suggest agreement.

"It would be feast, not famine, if we learnt to love our own food"

"Seen through an international lens, Britain is one of the luckier countries. Our fertile, well-tended land is capable of producing all manner of wonderful edible things. And yet we suffer from a deep-seated lack of confidence in our ability to feed ourselves well. The notion that, if we were left to our own agricultural and gastronomic devices, our meals would be monotonous and meagre was embedded in the public psyche long before Brexit and Covid-19 entered the lexicon."

"Across these isles, our food supply could be more localised and self-reliant. Why export the good wild stuff and import the inferior farmed equivalent from the other side of the world? “Locavorism”, the practice of eating locally produced food, is too readily dismissed as a niche activity. Successive governments have fixated on exports and delegated responsibility for feeding the population to supermarkets, whose opaque, strung-out, globalised food-procurement methods now look precarious, liable to disruption and bad for the environment.

Of course, if we decided to follow this path, we would hit limits. Citrus fruit, coffee, chocolate, bananas, rice, olive oil — the list of what can’t be grown in the UK is substantial; we will always have to import those items. Yet some surprising things — grapes, melons, apricots and nuts — might be coaxed into commercial production here, albeit in quantities insufficient to meet demand. Happily, the list of foods that we can grow or farm in some quantity is much, much longer."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...food-zdtws66sk

Despite what the doom-mongers might insist, there are opportunities to decrease our reliance on foreign-sourced foods.
These things too however take time.

I know The Times is subscription only.
There is however a free trial available for the genuinely interested, otherwise the quotes above give an idea of the reasoning behind this debate.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-01-2021, 05:17 PM

How on Earth can you have evidence of something that hasn't happened?

But it doesn't take a genius to understand that a reduction in trade because of tariffs imposed by no deal would lead to job losses, surely?
Even the devout on both sides of the debate acknowledged that and we saw multiple warnings over the course of years from a huge variety of sources.
Surely you alone cannot have failed to see that?
That's not to say that we couldn't have recovered those jobs in time BTW, but there would certainly have been losses - probably very substantial ones, too.
It would lead to far more job losses in the EU than in the UK as they sell more to us than we do to them. Certainly, the German car makers would not have stood for it, and probably many other exporters too, with the consequence of the EU begging for a free trade deal with us involving none of the unnecessary and unfortunate ties that Boris has lumbered us with.

Whether or not you care about these, about France or about anything else to do with Brexit is of no consequence whatsoever.
Fortunately there are quite enough sensible, rational people to ensure that what needs to be done will get done by voting accordingly.

For now Brexit is done.
We are out.
Anybody unhappy will have the chance to say so in around four years time.
Yes, we certainly shall.

My fat fingers sometimes lead to a spellunk error, hence your "sic".
What is your excuse for poor grammar with "it will put lartge(sic) numbers put out of work" ?
If you insist upon correcting grammar it might be wise to check your own first.

Ah, I was wondering whether you'd spot that. Well done!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Regarding earlier comments about eating more of what we produce ourselves or of us growing more of what we eat, there was an interesting piece in The Times this weekend which would suggest agreement.

"It would be feast, not famine, if we learnt to love our own food"

"Seen through an international lens, Britain is one of the luckier countries. Our fertile, well-tended land is capable of producing all manner of wonderful edible things. And yet we suffer from a deep-seated lack of confidence in our ability to feed ourselves well. The notion that, if we were left to our own agricultural and gastronomic devices, our meals would be monotonous and meagre was embedded in the public psyche long before Brexit and Covid-19 entered the lexicon."

"Across these isles, our food supply could be more localised and self-reliant. Why export the good wild stuff and import the inferior farmed equivalent from the other side of the world? “Locavorism”, the practice of eating locally produced food, is too readily dismissed as a niche activity. Successive governments have fixated on exports and delegated responsibility for feeding the population to supermarkets, whose opaque, strung-out, globalised food-procurement methods now look precarious, liable to disruption and bad for the environment.

Of course, if we decided to follow this path, we would hit limits. Citrus fruit, coffee, chocolate, bananas, rice, olive oil — the list of what can’t be grown in the UK is substantial; we will always have to import those items. Yet some surprising things — grapes, melons, apricots and nuts — might be coaxed into commercial production here, albeit in quantities insufficient to meet demand. Happily, the list of foods that we can grow or farm in some quantity is much, much longer."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...food-zdtws66sk

Despite what the doom-mongers might insist, there are opportunities to decrease our reliance on foreign-sourced foods.
These things too however take time.

I know The Times is subscription only.
There is however a free trial available for the genuinely interested, otherwise the quotes above give an idea of the reasoning behind this debate.
At the risk of being universally suspected of having completely lost my mind,
I agree with you.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 05:31 PM

It would lead to far more job losses in the EU than in the UK as they sell more to us than we do to them.
Quite possibly, yes.
You're still advocating more British job losses at a time like this though?

Certainly, the German car makers would not have stood for it, and probably many other exporters too, with the consequence of the EU begging for a free trade deal with us involving none of the unnecessary and unfortunate ties that Boris has lumbered us with.
Hang on.
How did you put it?
Oh yes:

We are out.
It's time you got used to it and - if you really can't - try garnering support for that which you say you want instead.
You have four years to turn your dreams into reality.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 05:33 PM

At the risk of being universally suspected of having completely lost my mind,
I agree with you.

I wish you could see that there are other areas where we can and/or are increasing our self-reliance too as a consequence of leaving the EU instead of searching for negativity.

Page 20 of 27 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top