Join for free
Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:40 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Quite possibly, yes.
You're still advocating more British job losses at a time like this though?

Hang on.
How did you put it?
Oh yes:

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Do you have any evidence to support your assertion, other than hearsay?
I'm suggesting that there will be far more EU job losses than UK job losses as they export far more to us than we do to them.

We have already obtained more trade deals around the world in a short time than many even hoped for. The relatively small amount of goods that we produce can be exported to them.

You also seem to forget that our financial centres, mainly in London, are highly regarded throughout the world - including in the EU. If they want to make an enemy of us (more so than they already have), it will come back to bite them.

And I hope it does.

Er, where's your evidence to the contrary?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Hmm... customs declarations are done on-line and can be done up to about 4 months after delivery. Taxes have never been collected at the border.

I dunno what on earth the Independent is on about....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Hmm... customs declarations are done on-line and can be done up to about 4 months after delivery. Taxes have never been collected at the border.

Ah, but they do collect ham sandwiches at the EU's border.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 06:09 PM

Ah, but they do collect ham sandwiches at the EU's border.
Probably ... maybe some dodgy prawns changing hands ...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 06:13 PM

I'm suggesting that there will be far more EU job losses than UK job losses as they export far more to us than we do to them.
We've done that bit.
I agreed, but it doesn't mean there will not be UK job losses because of what you selfishly want.

We have already obtained more trade deals around the world in a short time than many even hoped for. The relatively small amount of goods that we produce can be exported to them.
"Relatively small"?

You're deluded if you think that roughly half of what the UK produces can in any way be described that way., since that's the split.

You also seem to forget that our financial centres, mainly in London, are highly regarded throughout the world - including in the EU. If they want to make an enemy of us (more so than they already have), it will come back to bite them.
That's not included in the deal you're havering on about and we don't know what the outcome will be either, which renders that particalar point completely irrelevant.

Er, where's your evidence to the contrary?
Evidence of what, exactly?
It is you that's supposed to be able to justify what you said; read it again please and see.
And this time stop trying to dodge the question.
Evidence please that German car makers etc. would stop a no-deal?
Oh and the rest of your spurious claim.
Ta muchly.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 06:15 PM

I do.

It's a continuation of the "Brexit is bad" saga that we've seen for more than four years and that they hope by perpetuating the myth, some will think to be true.
The sensible know it isn't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-01-2021, 09:11 PM

We've done that bit.
I agreed, but it doesn't mean there will not be UK job losses because of what you selfishly want.

"Relatively small"?

You're deluded if you think that roughly half of what the UK produces can in any way be described that way., since that's the split.

That's not included in the deal you're havering on about and we don't know what the outcome will be either, which renders that particalar point completely irrelevant.

Evidence of what, exactly?
It is you that's supposed to be able to justify what you said; read it again please and see.
And this time stop trying to dodge the question.
Evidence please that German car makers etc. would stop a no-deal?
Oh and the rest of your spurious claim.
Ta muchly.
My sincere apologies. I had quite forgotten that your default position is to argue the complete opposite to whatever anyone else says.

Even without any evidence to support your opinion!

You win. We, the British are completely wrong in everything we do and the EU are correct. You're right, we should have voted to remain in the EU.

There. Better?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 11:01 PM

For as long as the whingers blame leaving the EU for every ill I should imagine.

Don't you have any comment to make upon the ongoing disputes as raised earlier?
In case you failed to notice, in effect until the EU ratify the deal we are not officially out - and they're looking to asking for an extension because, bless 'em, it might take them longer than the two months alloted to translate the thing into all those different languages.
The funny thing is that they could write the deal in English quickly enough when they wanted us to agree the deal.

I've stopped caring about two years ago, but I find it bizarre that it's all over the news again.

I did read a piece in the FT that said they had hastily translated the original version and now had to do a proper peer reviewed translation for legal reasons. They have to be correct translations for the signed copies or they could be challenged legally in the future if misunderstood or if they don't all sing on the same sheet etc.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 11:10 PM

You mean we can't grow our own avocadoes?

Please read the posts before replying Swims; I was pointing out another poster's mistaken beliefs with an example.

The basic suggestion was that we can grow and/or use more of our own.
That is quite true.
I remember a posh friend's mum trying to grow avocados from a pit in a glass of water on the kitchen window in the early 80s. The closest we were to avocados at the time was in the bathroom. I have a British friend living in costa rica who picks them in his garden. So I didn't think most of our avocados came from the EU. It's not economical to grow everything here.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-01-2021, 11:14 PM

How does that work with perishable products with a short lead time and high turnover? It will depend on your size & cashflow as to whether you can easily match cashflows and it's not worth the grief for those who do not have a high volume of goods being traded. So European wine merchants have said they won't bother except for wines in big demand etc.

Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top