Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 12:21 PM

Re: Is this the start of a post-Brexit boom?

Hi

Zaphod, I have a different perspective to you.

The Boris deal is not fantastic.

First we have to sort out the problems,, then get back to where we were and then move forward.

It is a big ask so I think it will take time.

We will get there, but not as soon as others think.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Zaphod, I have a different perspective to you.

The Boris deal is not fantastic.

First we have to sort out the problems,, then get back to where we were and then move forward.

It is a big ask so I think it will take time.

We will get there, but not as soon as others think.
We might have different perspectives but there is no need for you to attrubute things I have not said to me.

I have never said or suggested that the "Boris deal" is fantastic, but that rather than look back and grumble we should look to the future with optimism.
There is enough doom & gloom in the world already.
At a time of global change look forward with optimism at the new opportunities opening up.

Problems always have a way of working themselves out and those which leaving the EU have made evident will be no different.
How they resolve only time will tell but in honesty what we've seen so far are, in the scheme of things, quite minor.

We will never "get back to where we were" and I hope that nobody truly wants to go there.
The world of today is a very different place to at any time in the past, bringing with it new challenges as well as new opportunities.

Everything from now is "moving forward" since you can't change the past, this being something that our media and the remaining hardcore remainers and EUrophiles will hopefully realise soon.
How it moves forward and how successful this country will be depends upon not only our government and their tactics, but upon business and their willingness to adapt and sieze opportunity.
Since business is all about maximising profitability I suspect that these will indeed adapt, probably quickly too as with Nissan just last week.

It might well take time for UK industry and business to fully realise the extent of new opportunities but initial signs from our government are quite promising in starting that ball rolling, so to speak.
Not that any of us will (in all likelihood) see benefits any time soon, because readjustment will take years if not decades.

You're entitled to be a "glass half empty" person if that's your thing.
It certainly seems to be the approach of most of our media.
But look beyond that and you will see that there is much positivity and much to look forward to.

Sieze the opportunities and prosper, or turn your back on the opportunities and watch others prosper instead.
We had enough of the latter over the past 50 years or so; now is the time to rediscover our strengths.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Hi

Stop being so touchy.

If you did life will get better.

We are both on the same side here, it is just a matter of timescale.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Stop being so touchy.

If you did life will get better.

We are both on the same side here, it is just a matter of timescale.
It isn't "being touchy" when I point out your attempts at misleading, whereas your reply might be you being "touchy".
Is that why you comment about me personally rather than about the content of my post; can't you find anything in there to disagree with?

From my perspective, other than Covid interfering with life things are already pretty good thank you very much.
Might I remind you that you are the one grumbling, not me.
Try practising what you preach please.

I say again: we have a great deal of which to be thankful for and much to look forward to.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Here is another example of the type of British ingenuity that will help promote the country and also help us prosper:

'Ground-breaking' unmanned combat aircraft project in Northern Ireland

' The director of Future Combat Air at the MoD, Richard Berthon, said: "Project Mosquito is a vital element of our approach to Future Combat Air, rapidly bringing to life design, build and test skills for next generation combat air capabilities.
"Autonomous 'loyal wingman' aircraft create the opportunity to expand, diversify and rapidly upgrade Combat Air Forces in a cost-effective way, now and in the future." '

https://news.sky.com/story/ground-br...eland-12198119

A boost for Northern Ireland too.
I read about this in today's DM. I love the idea. My only concern is, how would these drones be refuelled in flight?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I read about this in today's DM. I love the idea. My only concern is, how would these drones be refuelled in flight?
Ooh that's a bit technical.
But I'm sure they will find a way.
If they can make a drone do what they are planning, I'm sure refuelling can be accomplished.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 05:40 PM

Another positive, albeit not so major:

"Hull proposed for Europe’s first rare earths processing plant"

"Pensana Rare Earths has submitted a planning application for the $125m facility, which would create 100 direct jobs. The company would produce rare earth oxides, which are used to manufacture the powerful magnets that drive the motors of offshore wind turbines and electric vehicles.

Paul Atherley, chairman of Pensana, said the company chose Hull because of its port and world class infrastructure. Referring to the shared workspace company, he described the Saltend chemical park as a “WeWork” for processing companies with power, chemical supplies and waste disposal all available. The site is already home to BP Chemicals, Ineos and Air Products."

https://www.ft.com/content/80961cbe-...c-00b7ac7b79c2

https://thefinanceinfo.com/2021/01/2...r-rare-earths/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Burn that Brussels red tape !

Let's get on with it !
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Burn that Brussels red tape !

Let's get on with it !
We are.

‘Operation Bleach’ to scrub EU from the statute book
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ens-thousands/

A shorter but more-easily readable version:
https://www.export.org.uk/news/54686...-in-UK-law.htm
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Poor Brucie - he doesn't seem to understand that digging ruddy great holes in a country on the other side of the planet from the UK has absolutely nothing whatsoevere to do with Brexit.
Unless of course he thinks that it's Australia that have left the EU?
Awww! Bless your pretty little heads. of course it is nothing to do with Brexit, Brexit is over, gone, pushing up the daisies, joined the choir invisible... Perhaps you didn't realise this thread is about POST-Brexit, a point in time, Biden's inauguration is post-Brexit, the whole world is post Brexit, Australia's recovering economy is post Brexit. (perhaps if you think "Anno Domini" you will grasp the concept).

But be that as it may, both you and Assman have expressed your concern that I should be worrying about China and its effect on Australian trade. My post was to reassure you that there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that your fears are totally without foundation in this post Brexit world.

Australia is doing fine post Brexit and we are just happy to negotiate a free trade agreement so you can enjoy the benefits of BSE free beef, lamb, pork, chook, wheat, rice, barley, oats, coal, lithium, steel, seafood, wool, aluminium, natural gas, wine etc all produced free of EU interference.

Just tell Boris to give us a call.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top