Join for free
Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 11:20 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Ah.
You don't know how some entrepeneur farmers in the UK already grow strawberries for just one example then?
Ask yourself why British strawberries are available for so much of the year.
We can see who is out of touch.
Have you read it properly? He is talking about turning our beautiful countryside into a blight of polytunnels. We can easily and cheaply source this food from abroad and enjoy lovely views instead of a mess of intensive farms (which will also mess up the natural habitat of so many wild animals and insects).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Have you read it properly? He is talking about turning our beautiful countryside into a blight of polytunnels. We can easily and cheaply source this food from abroad and enjoy lovely views instead of a mess of intensive farms (which will also mess up the natural habitat of so many wild animals and insects).

I don't know why people don't grow their own strawberries in the summer.

We do even though we only have a small courtyard garden. A couple of pots is all that's needed.

Sorry for the off topic...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

We do even though we only have a small courtyard garden. A couple of pots is all that's needed.

Sorry for the off topic...
My dad used to grow strawberries for fun. Seemed to require quite a lot of input for very little output. Ok if you're retired maybe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 04:28 AM

Hi

Anyone who critises where we are gets hammered.

Boris can do no wrong.

Live with it.

Sadly we will pay the consequences.

That is Democracy, we voted for him.

He was a much better alternative to the lunatic Corbyn.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 10:11 AM

My dad used to grow strawberries for fun. Seemed to require quite a lot of input for very little output. Ok if you're retired maybe.

I'm crap at gardening but we get loads of strawberries for some reason. Hanging baskets are good too but that's about all we can get I our garden.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Boris can do no wrong.

Live with it.

When we are all reaping the benefits will you critics eat your words?
Will you apologise for decrying the efforts being made that are benefitting you?

I very much doubt that you or the other critics will.
You don't seem to be grateful for example for the benefits that our vaccination plan will undoubtedly bring, and this could not have happened within the EU.
But no, Boris and our government are a bad, evil lot in the eyes of some.
For no reason other than personal hatred, it seems.

Get a grip, people.
You just want to criticise for the sake of making a ruddy noise, not because there is any basis to what you say you're complaining for (and that is directed at all the critics, crazy whack-job theorists and moaners, not especially the poster I am replying to).

There's nothing wrong with valid criticism but when it is either completely unfounded or just plain conjecture as by far most of the whinging posts in here are, do not be surprised to see those who subscribe to such outlandish theorising being described as a lunatic fringe.
Because that is what you are painting yourselves as being.
It's probably why most of the forum's contributors stay clear.

Like moaning about the blight of some polytunnels rather than relying upon more imported food!
As if most people in the UK ever go near the places where these would be, just as they don't go near the ones that already exist - and as for destroying habitat well what a crock of an excuse!
Nobody is talking of covering the country in a huge polytunnel.

Any expansion of such types of farming would in total equate to much less of an impact on wildlife than housebuilding, railways and roads.
And we'll ignore the likelihood that what polytunnels would sprout up would be where there are already farms which, we are constantly being told, already impact the environment in a number of ways.
No, rather than grow our own let's put ourselves at the mercy of others by importing what we can grow ourselves.
That is nuts, frankly.

Just like so many pages of this so-called debate.
I suspect that the more sensible readership and contributors already look at threads like this with wonderment at the sometimes extreme views, outlandish opinions and strange misinterpretations with wonder.

Well if the lunatics want to run this assylum, feel free.
This part of the forum is due for closure anyway since Brexit is done and dusted, or as near as, which I suppose means that the assylum-dwellers will soon be seeking a new home from which to exhibit their eccentricities.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:08 PM

I believe we can do both, Annie, without destroying our countryside.

The main thing is to avoid buying from the EU for the reasons I have stated many times.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Marge grew some in the greenhouse last year and they were excellent. Then the frost killed them. She'll do it again this year, though.
I'm sure that commercial concerns could do it as well and, in addition, use heated premises to avoid the frosts.

Who needs the EU?
(That should be our new motto, broadcast regularly on the telly!)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Boris can do no wrong.

Live with it.

And the treacherous May.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-01-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
When we are all reaping the benefits will you critics eat your words?
Will you apologise for decrying the efforts being made that are benefitting you?

I very much doubt that you or the other critics will.
If there's any real critic on these pages, it's you!
You criticise everyone about anything, and not usually very politely.

Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top