Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 04:37 PM

Re: Performance Appraisals

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Not exactly.......but I had to have mandatory training every other year from the Engineering Construction Industry.
The one that got away
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
The mandatory one I had the day before I started a job in a different department.

The answer to many of the pre-set questions was, "That's why I'm changing jobs."
Classic !
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

25-01-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Hated them from both sides of the desk. Just management bullsh!t. If anyone had problems with me during the year in question, come and talk to me about it. If I had problems with someone, likewise. Get problems sorted asap not hang about until it's time to do salary reviews.
Oh I totally agree with you on that point. A complete waste of time
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
What was the most interesting performance appraisal that you have had during your working life.
I have been on both sides and cannot honestly say I found any of them interesting.

As the one being appraised - it could be embarrassing to have things which I considered to be over, done and forgotten about suddenly thrown up at me out of context.

When I reached the dizzy heights of management - I much preferred to treat my staff to tea/coffee and sticky buns once a month and thrash out any issues/problems etc., in a none threatening environment. Everyone had their say and, more importantly, my staff felt valued.

Obviously we had to do the formal appraisal thing as well just to keep the top brass happy - but it was just rubber stamping what we had already covered.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

25-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have been on both sides and cannot honestly say I found any of them interesting.

As the one being appraised - it could be embarrassing to have things which I considered to be over, done and forgotten about suddenly thrown up at me out of context.

When I reached the dizzy heights of management - I much preferred to treat my staff to tea/coffee and sticky buns once a month and thrash out any issues/problems etc., in a none threatening environment. Everyone had their say and, more importantly, my staff felt valued.

Obviously we had to do the formal appraisal thing as well just to keep the top brass happy - but it was just rubber stamping what we had already covered.
I took the same approach but it was coffee and a toasted sandwich with my team. But my boss was a plum. Younger and much prettier with a high school certificate - the big bosses friend.

She’d say to me, Ah thanks Xxx for being my me for me.
Does that even make sense!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 08:12 PM

Best appraisal I've ever had was the job i am in now when I moved to Kent. There wasn't that many people in the business when I was taken on so the owner of the business did all the appraisals. Basically, it was a case sit down, say hello, then 'your doing a very good job, I can see I am not paying you enough, I am going to give you a £2000 increase on your yearly wage'.

I was completely shocked, no way was I expecting him to do that. I just smiled, thanked him for the increase and that was it, appraisal meeting over

He never did the same again though even though my appraisals was just as good.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 10:29 PM

The closest I ever came to being appraised was when I was sat in the office with my boss when a customer rang up asking how long until his diamond abrasive wheels would be finished (it was the job I was working on) My bosses reply was: "I've got my best man on it"..... Say no more!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:13 AM

Those times have long gone, best not to reappraise them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:19 AM

It should be joyful, never being appraised again, and the icing on the cake being, the original appraisers are long gone, on the negative side, there is no conversation to be had anymore, apart from Chewing the Cud.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

04-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Best appraisal I've ever had was the job i am in now when I moved to Kent. There wasn't that many people in the business when I was taken on so the owner of the business did all the appraisals. Basically, it was a case sit down, say hello, then 'your doing a very good job, I can see I am not paying you enough, I am going to give you a £2000 increase on your yearly wage'.

I was completely shocked, no way was I expecting him to do that. I just smiled, thanked him for the increase and that was it, appraisal meeting over

He never did the same again though even though my appraisals was just as good.
Companies sometimes do that if you are below the median. That doesn’t take away from the fact that you had an awesome appraisal

I recall when I qualified, the old manager resigned. So I was called in as the next senior person (I had only been in the position for 4 months and then I got my sought after qualification). I told the top chief that I would consider the position if they bumped up my salary. I mentioned that I had recently qualified as well. That was on a Monday. On the Friday, I was called in and offered a R420,000 per annum increase!
I was gobsmacked but I acted all calm and signed the offer!
Best boss I ever had!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top