Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Ants............

I was doing some weed assassination in the garden yesterday, when I suddenly noticed hundreds of small black ants near the gate. I couldn't see the ground for them.

What I can't understand is that I looked again today and not a sign of one. I presumed that it was a big colony, but not to see any today makes me curious.

Any explanations?

Gwyn
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 08:19 PM

Re: Ants............

No explanation Gwyn, but a similar thing happened round a large pot on my pergola. Hundreds of the blighters one day and when I moved it the next day - all gone!
I wondered if they were moving home?
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 09:13 PM

I've never seen so may ants, Janela!

I always remember my Mum - if she came across a throng of ants in the garden, she'd pour boiling water on 'em. I just didn't see why - as long as they don't come into the house in droves, I'll let them be..........

Just hope they've no plans to invade me!

Gwyn
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I was doing some weed assassination in the garden yesterday, when I suddenly noticed hundreds of small black ants near the gate. I couldn't see the ground for them.

What I can't understand is that I looked again today and not a sign of one. I presumed that it was a big colony, but not to see any today makes me curious.

Any explanations?

Gwyn

Going to audition as extras for "Invasion of the Ants" horror?
AliceB
Cheshire

01-05-2014, 07:59 AM

Extras? - they could have made a film by themselves !!

Gwyn
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:04 AM

we get rid of any ant we see in our garden!
they are all out to get me, and I suffer really bad when they bite me!
we use a spray as we have a dog, so don't use the powder.
we spray it underneath our doorsteps, if they get into the house, they are murder to get rid of!
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 10:10 AM

When I was a child there were always ants in gardens ..never see any now
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 10:26 AM

We get ants in the garden every year and almost always in the same places, despite dusting with ant / crawling insect killer.
There seems to be far more this year though and at work it's quite frightening because if I'm weeding I usually disturb a few but now it's hundreds of them.

At one point yesterday I simply had to give up because I was covered in them all the time.

As for ants moving, what I've found is that if you disturb their main entrance point they'll quite often abandon that and make another one, sometimes several feet away because, under ground, ants nests are quite large!

We had a problem with them coming into the kitchens at work last year and as fast as I put down ant killer near their main points of entry they'd be coming up further away to re-establish the routes to the kitchen again.

I used TWO whole packs of Nippon over the whole day but they're still back there this year! stevmk2
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

01-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Well i use the spray ant killer now , think we have use the powders an the boiling water , never get rid really...when one net gets destroyed another starts right away ...
When i moved here last year had the same problem i left something out on the bench an BINGO... hundreds of the blighters all over the worktops ugh..
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 02:43 PM

we have thousands of them in the garden,
the spray keeps them back from the house.
evenon the pavements there's hundreds of the blighters.
we must have all yours then Tomcat

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top