Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Horsetails

Has anyone successfully got rid of horsetails and if so, how? I have an epidemic of them
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Re: Horsetails

Like you, we have an abundance of them on our allotment. Earlier on in the year we treated a small area with weed killer and these are the only weeds still growing. I have been told that the only way is to dig them out but the roots go down for such a long way.
No idea how to eradicate them but would love to know.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertaS ->
Like you, we have an abundance of them on our allotment. Earlier on in the year we treated a small area with weed killer and these are the only weeds still growing. I have been told that the only way is to dig them out but the roots go down for such a long way.
No idea how to eradicate them but would love to know.
Theses are really ancient plant forms and I've got hundreds of these growing up in the gardens at work and the only way to get rid of them that I know is to dig them out!

That can be difficult enough in a flower bed but I've got them coming up in the lawns too!

They root very deeply and I think they reproduce via spores but I really do not know for sure.

If that's true then you must destroy each plant completely.

It's bad enough having to deal with the Japanese Knotweed we seem to have in our front flower beds where I work - I'm having to store that until it's dry enough to burn as alternative disposal choices can be very expensive!
stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Not just deep roots but long runs of roots too, digging them up you can find they run for hundreds of feet in either direction.

Probably think me odd but I quite like their tenacity, as has been said they are an ancient plant and IMO just sent to teach us we can't control nature !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 07:17 PM

I don't think it is actually possible to dig them out fully. Had a look on the RHS website and they suggest bruising the plants prior to spraying with weedkiller, and say it will take several applications to succeed.
Sad thing is, I sort of like them but they are not only in the garden but coming up through the tarmac on my drive...
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Talking of Japanese Knotweed, Steve. Our local council tip have refused to take them, even if you deliver them.
It is even declarable if you are selling your house..
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Do you have a picture? I'm wondering if they're the same as Foxtails over here. If so I think continual use of pesticides have eradicated them & I haven't seen them since the 80's If they are the same, I loved the look of them.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

24-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Hope that works AC.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Ok, no its not what I was thinking of, thanks for taking the time to photo it

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top