Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Unannounced visitors ......

Does it bother you, if a visitor turns up at your door without ringing you first ?
I have never turned up at someones door expecting them to drop everything because I've decided to visit them, but we get this a lot. Even though our internal phone is not directly charged, so costs nothing to ask if they can pop over - Ggrrrr, don't like it ........
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:59 PM

Re: Unannounced visitors ......

Doesn't bother me, but if it's inconvenient then I tell them and arrange to see them later. I generally ring friends before calling in, but I know which ones want me to ring first and which ones are happy for me to just drop in.
Are you sure they expect you to drop everything, or is it just that that is what you feel you have to do if they turn up?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Doesn't bother me, but if it's inconvenient then I tell them and arrange to see them later. I generally ring friends before calling in, but I know which ones want me to ring first and which ones are happy for me to just drop in.
Are you sure they expect you to drop everything, or is it just that that is what you feel you have to do if they turn up?
Well its not easy for me to just have someone pop in when they feel like it - I just cannot comprehend doing that, why 'not' ring first, wheres the problem with that ?
The person called on could be having a bad day - really busy - anything - but that obviously doesn't matter ........
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:07 PM

Just playing devil's advocate, but if you can tell someone on the phone that you are too busy/having a bad day/ it's not convenient is it that much harder to tell them the same on the doorstep?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:07 PM

I always know when visitors are coming. I invite people when I feel like it. I'm not anti social, but I see lots of friends and family on a daily/weekly basis. I like to have my home to myself the rest of the time. If someone were to call in, then I'd make them very welcome.

My mum has constant people popping in. Her kettle's always on and she always has a stash of biccies on the go

Come to think of it, I am anti social compared to her.......
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:10 PM

I think it depends, my neighbour across the road will pop across with something and we might have a cup of tea.
I don't have any relatives who would turn up unannounced not even one family member who is within walking distance.
If the same person is arriving unannounced a lot, it might be time to find a way to let them know it's not ok.
You could just say .......could you ring before you call round as I may be out or busy etc.
The other option is to say ' oh I'm just about to go somewhere, do something' as they arrive and do it a few times, till they get the message.
Don't offer they any refreshments or be particularly attentive, that also works for guests you may wish to see the back of sooner rather than later.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Just playing devil's advocate, but if you can tell someone on the phone that you are too busy/having a bad day/ it's not convenient is it that much harder to tell them the same on the doorstep?
It is for me - because its written all over me face that I wouldn't do it
An emergency I don't mind .......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think it depends, my neighbour across the road will pop across with something and we might have a cup of tea.
I don't have any relatives who would turn up unannounced not even one family member who is within walking distance.
If the same person is arriving unannounced a lot, it might be time to find a way to let them know it's not ok.
You could just say .......could you ring before you call round as I may be out or busy etc.
The other option is to say ' oh I'm just about to go somewhere, do something' as they arrive and do it a few times, till they get the message.
Don't offer they any refreshments or be particularly attentive, that also works for guests you may wish to see the back of sooner rather than later.
Funny that - I was thinking of sitting here with me hat on
If its the usual done thing of a neighbour popping in daily, no problem is it - I think its a matter for me of 'where' I live - lots of neighbours !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

Time to start some assertiveness training, then
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

Time to start some assertiveness training, then
Ooo yes ......

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top