Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 06:58 PM

What do you call it?

I'm having a senior moment here. What do you call the "protection unit" that you plug into a mains plug before plugging in the extension cable out into the garden for the hedge cutter? I've tried every combination of "Power" and/or "Protection" but all I keep getting up are surge protectors. That's not what I'm after.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:02 PM

Re: What do you call it?

circuit breaker ?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:09 PM

It's called an EARTH LEAKAGE CIRCUIT BREAKER, or ELCB for short

Surf the Net for more details if you want, but all you really need is to go to an electrical, DIY or gardening store
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Fit RCDs (Residual Current Devices)

An RCD Residual Current Device is a potentially life-saving device that protects against electric shock and reduces the risk of electrical fires. Without it, if you cut through an electrical lead, a simple job like mowing the lawn could kill you.

Any socket that may be used to plug in a lawnmower, hedge trimmer or other power tool should have RCD Protection.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:17 PM

Yes, I've just done a bit of Surfing myself

Seems an ELCB is an older design. RCBs are more modern, and to be preferred
Ask at the shop
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Lots to choose from ZD, all variations on a theme, best advice is state the need it is reqd for as some breakers are designed for outside the Equipotential bonding zone formed within a buildings structure, these are the kind for working outside.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 09:59 PM

Thanks all, Residual Circuit Breaker is what I was thinking of.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Yes, I've just done a bit of Surfing myself

Seems an ELCB is an older design. RCBs are more modern, and to be preferred
Ask at the shop
Same thing except it is a RCD. Either have one fitted and contained in the switch socket outlet normally used or just get one that plugs in, the later being inexpensive.

RCD's work on the principle of the current in and out being balanced, the older voltage operated trips are very much history.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Have a read of this: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...cds-explained/
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 09:27 AM

Two MK (good make), metal clad ones on Ebay at the moment including mounting boxes. At the moment just 0.99p , gift. May even bid on them myself .
2 x 13 Amp 1 Gang Single RCD Protected Socket Metal Clad RCD Socket 30mA Trip.

Then there are many on there, £15 for a twin one but will need a mounting box.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top