Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 01:59 PM

Re: To Make You Smile?

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Not a huge amount? Are you serious? The UK is/was the third largest contributor to the EU and you think that loss in revenue is not that serious for them?
This is what the FT reported:

"The EU needs to settle a new*budget*before the end of the year but talks have*laid bare rifts over how to fill the €60bn-€75bn funding gap created by Brexit".

https://www.ft.com/content/c3e2ef6e-...1-482eed0038b1
It seems we are in agreement about the amount of money missing in the EU budget from britains exit. The budget reported about is the MFF (multiannual financial framework), the long-term budget 2021-2027. The missing amount being €75 bn would mean less than € 10 bn/year, or £ 8,8 bn.
In my previous post I set out what that amounts to for taxpayers in the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:11 PM

Can you provide a link where Johnson promised to cut VAT on energy bills?
BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household*energy*bills if Britain backs a Brexit.
In: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#2aec19ea47d0
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household*energy*bills if Britain backs a Brexit.
In: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#2aec19ea47d0
Doesn't say that at all. It says it will be "possible" to scrap VAT if UK votes to leave. The headline is misleading.

Here are three links which confirm what I said. What else you got?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-energy-bills

https://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-31/...-energy-bills/

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/pub...ay-campaigners
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:22 PM

This is Solasch trying to be funny, surely? We all know that VAT on energy bills has to be applied because of some daft ruling or other by the EU. Our VAT rate on energy is 5% ATM. How much is it in the Netherlands, I wonder? I'm looking forward to Rishi saying that it will be zero in the near future.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
This is Solasch trying to be funny, surely? We all know that VAT on energy bills has to be applied because of some daft ruling or other by the EU. Our VAT rate on energy is 5% ATM. How much is it in the Netherlands, I wonder? I'm looking forward to Rishi saying that it will be zero in the near future.
Exactly. Even if it was a promise, which it clearly wasn't, it could not be implemented until next year. We have left. Why don't these people just accept it and move on?
Takahashi
United Kingdom

08-07-2020, 05:02 PM

It seems we are in agreement about the amount of money missing in the EU budget from britains exit. The budget reported about is the MFF (multiannual financial framework), the long-term budget 2021-2027. The missing amount being €75 bn would mean less than € 10 bn/year, or £ 8,8 bn.
In my previous post I set out what that amounts to for taxpayers in the EU.
Glad you agree with me. Not too hard was it?

As you admit, not every man, woman and child will have to pay to make up the difference. It will be up to the richer countries to pay more. That is, Germany and France. Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc will struggle to come up with extra funds. If it was such a small amount then why are the EU member states arguing about it? Also, there will be more money needed for your covid fund. So glad we won't be paying for that.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-07-2020, 05:37 PM

Glad you agree with me. Not too hard was it?

As you admit, not every man, woman and child will have to pay to make up the difference. It will be up to the richer countries to pay more. That is, Germany and France. Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc will struggle to come up with extra funds. If it was such a small amount then why are the EU member states arguing about it? Also, there will be more money needed for your covid fund. So glad we won't be paying for that.
The difference is, you didn't mention that the "gap" in the budget was multiannual.
I calculated a monthly sum of £4/month regardless of what country one comes from. Let's assume a 50/50 split between richer and less rich countries. That implies that germans would have to pay £6/month and portugees £ 2/month. You really think that effect of brexit would make the EU fall apart?

As you are new here, you obviously missed that the UK will donate into that fund (contributions are to be made in 2020, and in the transition period you have the same obligations as being a member), but on the positive side, the UK will also get a subsidie from the fund.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 06:37 PM

I have been around here for almost 2 years. In the beginning the numbers of remainers and leavers was 50/50 (). The leavers however in their language are what 7773911 described as hateful. Takahashi denied that, and I think 7779311 was thinking about hässlich, what in english would be ugly or even repulsive.
Over time the verbal shouting drove away many a remainer. The lies drove away some eloquent debaters as banchory and gascony.
I'm just too stubborn to let bullies win.
In the above I do exclude swimfeeders, who always stays polite even when he sound annoyed.
Hi Solasch,

when I looked up "hateful" I needed an English word for the German "gehässig" (not "hässlich"), which describes the intention to hurt someone and take satisfaction out of having hurt him/her.

E. g. like stretching out your leg to make someone fall over it. When he falls, you say "ha now I got you". I thought "hateful" was an appropriate word.

I have read so many comments form British posters which sounded as if Brexit was kind of a fight between the UK and the EU. Often the commentators seemed proud to have "won".

From what I read in German news, comments and forums, the German population accepts Brexis in an impersonal, businesslike way. UK has left the club and that is ok. Good luck on your way.

There are no strong emotions attached to it as far as I can tell.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-07-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi Solasch,

I have read so many comments form British posters which sounded as if Brexit was kind of a fight between the UK and the EU. Often the commentators seemed proud to have "won".

From what I read in German news, comments and forums, the German population accepts Brexis in an impersonal, businesslike way. UK has left the club and that is ok. Good luck on your way.

There are no strong emotions attached to it as far as I can tell.
Yep. Like presenting the exit procedure as a fight, or telling the EU wanted to punish the UK for leaving by offering a bad deal etc.
As to fight, sending a letter informing the other you are leaving, doesn't represent a battle in my opinion. Article 50 states every member has that right.
As for deal, the treaties describe the boundaries and the UK added some red lines (on ireland e.g.). The EU just took out the calculator and added up. No punishing in that.

But if you want to find out the situation or progress on brexit, you have to turn to british newsfora. On the continent most have lost interest, and yes takahashi, most have moved on. Almost forgotten about the british.

As for me hanging around here. I'm curious how it ends, or develops. Who predicted the effects correctly, who had the best insights? A bit like the ending to a detective, I want to know who dunnit?
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:33 PM

Yep. Like presenting the exit procedure as a fight, or telling the EU wanted to punish the UK for leaving by offering a bad deal etc.
As to fight, sending a letter informing the other you are leaving, doesn't represent a battle in my opinion. Article 50 states every member has that right.
As for deal, the treaties describe the boundaries and the UK added some red lines (on ireland e.g.). The EU just took out the calculator and added up. No punishing in that.

But if you want to find out the situation or progress on brexit, you have to turn to british newsfora. On the continent most have lost interest, and yes takahashi, most have moved on. Almost forgotten about the british.

As for me hanging around here. I'm curious how it ends, or develops. Who predicted the effects correctly, who had the best insights? A bit like the ending to a detective, I want to know who dunnit?
That is exactly my very same intention. I wondered how a divided union (52/48 vote) could handle such a weighty decision on the long run. Moreover I want to see how a former member develops because it is not imperative that all countries remain members or that the EU remains a union on the long run.

We will have to wait about another about 12-18 months to see the outcome. But honestly after four years of waiting my patience is running out...

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top