Join for free
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 11:29 PM

Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 3)

you got an hour lunch break?? - no wonder they were makin more money than thou - they probably got no breaks!! mind you I bet their libidos were always well honed!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 11:42 PM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 3)

you got me thinkin there Jem which is a difficult task for many people - NO - not to get themselves thinkin but to get me thinkin.

My first 'serious' - [no it wasn't really serious] girlfriend was a rather plumpish wench - no not fat just plump [I remember me granny buying goose for xmas {we couldn't afford turkey} saying - I don't want a fat bird just plumpish] that was she.

we went for country walks and cuddled and kissed but that was it - anything else was verbodden! and then there was the class difference - me definitely working class and her family upper class snobs. we all went to the same church so had to appear friendly and equal in the sight of God but it never was!

strangely enough I can't even remember her name now. I was invited into the rather grand house they had with a conservatory on the top floor - I had never in my whole life seen a conservatory on the top floor!!

and then the new farming family arrived with a young buck son and the mother had plans for my girl - I was to be gentle eased out and he in. I think the end came when I arrived at the house knocked at the door and was met by my girls eldest sister - a kindly woman who tried to explain to me in very gentle tones that it was over. I arrived home that night heart broken - I think more about the way it ended than anything else but then stoically got on with the rest of my life.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 09:57 AM

If you only knew what we lasses had to go through to look half way decent for those Saturday dances.

Starching those many net underskirts we wore and then sugar spraying the carefully backcombed beehive till it was stiff. Your waspy belt had to be pulled really tight to show off your 18 inch waist whether you had an 18 inch waist or not.

Then the winkle pickers which you squeezed your feet into no matter that they hurt your crushed toes like hell and the very thought of any lad treading on your feet sent shudders of horror through you. If they were new they nearly always squeaked which sounded like you were far**** just as you were being led onto the dance floor by the lad you had fancied for ages..and he never asked you again.

I am not going into the horrors of those unreliable bra fasteners or the stocking suspenders that could fail at any moment but any lass will know exactly what I mean
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

22-09-2015, 10:39 AM

OMG and I thought you lot just had a strange grimacing like grins when you courted!

my first dancing experiences was of course rock and roll at the local scout club barn!!

for some unfathomable reason my sister and I had started dancing at home for a bit of family fun and then it transfered to the scout hut - we were definitely the best on the floor but it never got me any girls!!

waltzes, foxtrots etc were square and came much later as we became grown up!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Ah yes but it was fun wasn’t it, many a tear has to fall but it’s all in the game.
If the girls only knew what was going through the fellas minds trying to get up the courage to ask a girl up to dance, the prospect of a refusal was terrifying, the shame of it in front of all your mates, having to walk back across the floor empty handed with a face you could light a cigarette off. Nobody dare ask the real good lookers up, the odds were stacked against you there, so to be fairly safe you always aimed lower in the looks department.

Susie the Sausage Maker.

Beneath all the garb beat a heart made of gold
The faster it beat the more sausages they sold
She stashed all the dough in the bank we are told
To keep her in comfort when she got too old.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 08:20 PM

The Lake Isle Of Innisfree

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
W.B. Yeats.

Just thinking of my older brother today, not his anniversary or anything, talking about teenage dancing brought back many happy memories, we were very close. He always loved this poem and his eldest Son recited it at his graveside when he died from Leukemia 12 years ago in London. R.I.P. Tommy.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 06:47 AM

A very sad story Jem and a beautiful poem
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-09-2015, 01:29 PM

Thanks Malcolm.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 06:59 PM

Tom Waits while Jeremy Irons
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Tom Waits while Jeremy Irons
Yes Solo, don’t forget John Wayne tomatoes.

Oliver Cromwell was a strange man, did you know he kept Warthogs for pets? I remember reading somewhere that he said to his portrait painter “Paint me as I am, Warthogs and all” as the little darlings gathered around his feet.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top