Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 05:17 PM

American Railroads

I stand in awe at them, Britain had the first railways but the USA has surpassed us all, from Grand Central Station to the UP's fantastic engineering feat across the Rocky mountains to the Pacific Ocean.

I watch "Extreme Trains" on Discovery and am amazed at how they operate, UP even have an old steam loco that runs on old used automobile oil, during WW2 they had a massive loco called "Big Boy", it was used to ship giant naval guns to the west coast.

Today there's a massive train that ships fresh food from California to the east all in refrigerated box-cars, that's over 3000 miles, amazing.

If you Google Big Boy Loco you'll see what I mean.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Re: American Railroads

A Big Boy Loco, look at the size of it.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Wow that is some train!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Wow indeed, that's quite a train. I think you know far more about our railroads than I do. They are sadly not what they used to be what with the interstate highways and the car-obsessed culture... I loved going up th New England to the Cape in the overnight sleeping car; such a cozy little roomette.
nero
Central Scotland

09-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Your railroads are a credit to your country DM, I love watching that program.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 11:28 PM

That engine is massive. I love the discovery channel, always learn something new.

You ever been to Summerlee ind museum Nero? I thought it was very interesting when we went there a few years back on a trip down to the city.
nero
Central Scotland

10-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Calismum ->
That engine is massive. I love the discovery channel, always learn something new.

You ever been to Summerlee ind museum Nero? I thought it was very interesting when we went there a few years back on a trip down to the city.
We've got the SRPS (Scottish Rail Preservation Society) about 6 miles from where I live CM, they do wonderful restoration work there.
nero
Central Scotland

21-11-2009, 02:52 PM

The contract for the Canadian Pacific railroad was drawn up by Abraham Lincoln in 1862 at the height of the Civil War.

The first spade of earth was dug in Sacramento, California, by a shopkeeper, there were 4 of them all together, a draper, a grocer, a hardware store keeper and someone else

The contract stated that 40 miles of track had to be laid before the US government paid out any cash, the shopkeepers had great difficulty getting workers to lay the track, but due to famine in China there were thousands of Chinese men available.

The gang boss had no time for them but after 4 years of hard work and great loss of life crossing the Sierra Nevada's and Rockies they earned his deepest respect.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Wow indeed, that's quite a train. I think you know far more about our railroads than I do. They are sadly not what they used to be what with the interstate highways and the car-obsessed culture... I loved going up th New England to the Cape in the overnight sleeping car; such a cozy little roomette.
Yes Nero knows more about the U.S. than we do.
nero
Central Scotland

21-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Yes Nero knows more about the U.S. than we do.
It's all down to Nat Geo Joan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top