Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 08:18 AM

The Mob

NOM, Yesterday I had a surprise when a whole group of young Starlings flew down and landed in a row along my fence.
I counted them and there were 14.

I think they are young Starlings anyway, but they haven't got their speckly markings yet and they are more brown than black. Perhaps they are not even Starlings?

Anyhow, this morning they are back with a vengeance, and they have taken over all 3 of my bird tables and there will be nothing left for anyone else in a minute. I shall have to put more out when they've gone.

What's going on do you think, why have I got this great gang of yobs taking overall of a sudden? I've never seen them here before.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Re: The Mob

Yes the brown indicates young ones and they could well be more than one brood being gregarious in nature.
As they age they begin to take on some of the adult iridescent plumage, and its at that stage i find them at their best.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 08:47 AM

Will they stick around do you think, or will they move on again? They are a very lively, animated lot.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 09:06 AM

I rarely see starlings these days unless I go over near The Levels and see a murmeration. They seem to have disappeared.
A few years back a flock fell out of the sky in a village near Wells, never did find out why! Perhaps it's something to do with ley lines.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I rarely see starlings these days unless I go over near The Levels and see a murmeration. They seem to have disappeared.
A few years back a flock fell out of the sky in a village near Wells, never did find out why! Perhaps it's something to do with ley lines.

You can have a few of these Tess, they are frightening off all my usual birds and pinching their feed!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 11:08 AM

They will gradually explore and find other food sources, we get lots at the coast feeding on the tide wrack and clifftops.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-06-2016, 11:51 AM

I've had to put more feed out already this morning, they are scoffing the lot.
They behave differently to the usual ones that come. This lot are very lively and into everything very quickly, they can't seem to sit still for more than a few seconds.

So you reckon these are probably from different nests and have met up for a rampage.
What's the average number of eggs a starling usually lays? I was wondering how many nests full I've got.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Clutch size about 3-6 can have 2 broods a year. In decline in the UK.

Nom factoid.
All the European Starlings in North America descended from 100 birds set loose in New York's Central Park in the early 1890s. The birds were intentionally released by a group who wanted America to have all the birds that Shakespeare ever mentioned. It took several tries, but eventually the population took off. Today, more than 200 million European Starlings range from Alaska to Mexico, and many people consider them pests.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 02:40 PM

They're such characters, remind me of spivs!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Clutch size about 3-6 can have 2 broods a year. In decline in the UK.

Nom factoid.
All the European Starlings in North America descended from 100 birds set loose in New York's Central Park in the early 1890s. The birds were intentionally released by a group who wanted America to have all the birds that Shakespeare ever mentioned. It took several tries, but eventually the population took off. Today, more than 200 million European Starlings range from Alaska to Mexico, and many people consider them pests.

Oh. So I could have perhaps 3 nests full all out together on the rampage! Thank you for the info and the Nom factoid, oh wise one

I thought of you tonight because Springwatch on telly, were at the Farne Islands, and they were showing all the puffins and those little birds I liked before with the black heads and snow white body (Arctic Terns?) They also showed a Sparrowhawk sitting on 5 eggs , and loads more you would probably have enjoyed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top