Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Re: Are we cruel to fish?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The human race is probably the cruelest species on the planet - even to itself.

Yes, I'd agree with that, Tabs.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:17 AM

The killing of fish has long disturbed me, and the crabs, lobsters and bigger fish like whales even more so. Fishing has been one of the main food sources in the world for thousands of years, but so have grain and rice . I eat a little fish but feel more and more guilt ridden as time go by .

A few years ago, a work colleague was vegetarian and I asked her what she had for her Sunday lunch. She replied, " the same as you without the meat ". That made perfect sense .
We don't really need the meat of any animal and slaughter of any of them is pretty grotesque when we really stop and think about it.
It's always very noticeable that vegetarians and vegans are nice and slim.. If nothing else, that should be an incentive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The human race is probably the cruelest species on the planet - even to itself.
No! we don't tear flesh off animals to eat while it is still alive nor do we drag them underwater to drown them before eating them. We do have rules about the slaughter of animals, you may not like them but we do.

It is a good thing that fish aren't furry and cuddly, imagine the outcry if people caught rabbits or kangaroos with a barbed hook.

However we are omnivores, get over it.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Yes, we are cruel to fish.

We batter them!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:43 AM

I worked on a Spratt trawler when I left school for a year and in that time saw millions of Sprat's die on the decks of our trawler, yes to see them die a slow death is sad, but where would you begin to kill humanly a million sprats on a small working boat it would take a lifetime on one haul.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
The killing of fish has long disturbed me, and the crabs, lobsters and bigger fish like whales even more so. Fishing has been one of the main food sources in the world for thousands of years, but so have grain and rice . I eat a little fish but feel more and more guilt ridden as time go by .

A few years ago, a work colleague was vegetarian and I asked her what she had for her Sunday lunch. She replied, " the same as you without the meat ". That made perfect sense .
We don't really need the meat of any animal and slaughter of any of them is pretty grotesque when we really stop and think about it.
It's always very noticeable that vegetarians and vegans are nice and slim.. If nothing else, that should be an incentive.
That's a bit of a myth there are good vegetarian and vegan diets and there are bad ones. As a vegetarian you can live on chocolate and chips if you want, it's not enough just to be a vegetarian to lose weight.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:48 AM

There's a bit more to that though, Bruce:
You say -

No! we don't tear flesh off animals to eat while it is still alive nor do we drag them underwater to drown them before eating them. We do have rules about the slaughter of animals, you may not like them but we do.

Other animals do it for survival, and they haven't got any other way of killing - we have.
And you say "we have rules for slaughter", but tell me the rules for protecting fish at slaughter then?
That is what this thread was about. Why are fish treated so badly?

Yes, it does seem barbaric they are "caught with a barbed hook" as you say, yet another unfortunate scenario for the fish which wouldn't be allowed for other animals.

So why can people do this to fish? Why can they take fish, sling them in a pile and let they die slowly from suffocation for example?
There would be a huge outcry if that was allowed to any other animal.

This is what I am on about - How fish are treated, NOT whether we should be allowed to eat them or not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
I worked on a Spratt trawler when I left school for a year and in that time saw millions of Sprat's die on the decks of our trawler, yes to see them die a slow death is sad, but where would you begin to kill humanly a million sprats on a small working boat it would take a lifetime on one haul.
True basser. I don't know what the answer is.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
True basser. I don't know what the answer is.

Me neither, but is anyone bothering to even try and solve a more humane dispatch.
I doubt it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:35 PM

I don't even like to see fish in tanks going round and round for our pleasure. I do like to eat fish, not sure I'll carry on after reading this thread though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top