Join for free
View Poll Results: How often are your trips to London?
I never ever go (reasons why?) 8 22.22%
I used to go but not any more (reasons why?) 16 44.44%
Once a year 5 13.89%
More than 3 times a year 2 5.56%
More than 6 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Re: When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life: Samuel Johnson

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I said much the same right back in post 27 as well JBR.
I also saw how many of the shops had changed as well, to accommodate all the foreign foods required now.
Yes, it's perfectly true whether certain people like it or not.

Those who are quite happy to live in such circumstances are very welcome to them. Presumably, they are equally happy to pay through the nose to buy a tiny 'studio flat' as well!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, it's perfectly true whether certain people like it or not.

Those who are quite happy to live in such circumstances are very welcome to them. Presumably, they are equally happy to pay through the nose to buy a tiny 'studio flat' as well!

As you say, if they are happy with their lot, that's fine.

It wouldn't do for me, but it's a good job we are all different, else there'd be an awful a lot of people squabbling over the same house!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As you say, if they are happy with their lot, that's fine.

It wouldn't do for me, but it's a good job we are all different, else there'd be an awful a lot of people squabbling over the same house!
Yes, and it's a good thing too. Otherwise they'd all be up here clogging the place up and turning our council into a Loony Party led organisation! Every road in the area would be in a Congestion Charge area and the much vaunted Curry Mile would become the Curry County.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Before I retired I worked two days a week in London, have to admit when I got the job I was excited at the prospect of regular jaunts to the capital. I quickly changed my mind.

Working there made me feel like a stranger in my own country, London seems to me like a metropolitan mix of every nationality and white traditional Brits are clearly a minority.

Maybe it’s the same in all large cities throughout the world? I don’t know but London is not a place I felt at ease in.

I know you might all be fed up by smug Yorkshire folk telling you we live in “Gods Own Country “ it’s true though Yorkshire is a hard act to follow… we try to keep it a secret though.
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Buffy Saint Marie?
Many thanks Purwell,. I think you are right , I had forgotten all about Buffy !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Before I retired I worked two days a week in London, have to admit when I got the job I was excited at the prospect of regular jaunts to the capital. I quickly changed my mind.

Working there made me feel like a stranger in my own country, London seems to me like a metropolitan mix of every nationality and white traditional Brits are clearly a minority.

Maybe it’s the same in all large cities throughout the world? I don’t know but London is not a place I felt at ease in.

I know you might all be fed up by smug Yorkshire folk telling you we live in “Gods Own Country “ it’s true though Yorkshire is a hard act to follow… we try to keep it a secret though.:-)

Try telling that to the residents of Batley, & Dewsbury, in particular Silver Town.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

Try telling that to the residents of Batley, & Dewsbury, in particular Silver Town.
Yes you could be right there Joe
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes you could be right there Joe
I know full well I am correct. Back in the 1980s I lived in Batley and had cause to visit Silver town on a number of occasions.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:25 PM

My husband is a Londoner by birth but was glad to leave the place when we married in 1969, and has never wished to live there again.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Many of your perspectives are akin to the way I feel about New York City. It makes me sad that some people come to the U.S. and never see the most beautiful parts of the country. Even so, with the right advice a trip there with fresh eyes can be an incredible experience...

So, when I visit the UK...do you think you all could be convinced to point me in the right direction?

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top