Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Re: Contact Tracing on smartphones

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
It wouldn't tell you who you should be isolating from because it would be telling you you should self-isolate for 7 days (or get tested and act according to result)
Only IF everyone installs the app.

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I didn't think it was so comlicated!
It's not - it's unfeasible and unworkable and full of blind spots.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We do not need to know who it is, just that we need to be careful.
We're being careful anyway. It's the default behaviour these days. The app adds nothing really that we aren't already doing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
We're being careful anyway. It's the default behaviour these days. The app adds nothing really that we aren't already doing.

I agree. Of course we are and I said the same about 90 posts ago!
Tachyon

23-04-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree. Of course we are and I said the same about 90 posts ago!
I noticed, but I thought it merited repeating.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 07:18 PM

My daughter bought me a cheap Alcatel phone a long time ago, purely because my very old 'dumb' phone was impractical for her to keep in touch with me while she was abroad. The Alcatel had hissy fits whenever it was time for WhatsApp updates. The phone hadn't the capacity for it or something like that. I've not used it or had it on for 6/8 mths maybe more.
Instead I went and bought another 'dumb' phone, costing £20 - another PAYG. It doesn't have the capacity to do 'stuff' which was all I want. It's for emergencies only and the odd texting.

I'm the old school - I'm in control, no-one else. So, no, even if my phone was good enough to have the capacity (or whatever the phrase is), I don't want to know. I'll find out the usual way if I've caught it or been in contact with anyone who has it.

For me, Big Brother can go and get stuffed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I heard somebody, who is an authority on viruses, saying that they do not yet have any idea whether those, who have been infected, will be immune to catching it again.
If the story about China, making this virus so it can be caught by humans, is correct I suspect it will need a lot of testing to check whether we can develop an immunity to it by using anti toxins that are created by our white blood cells.
Surely Twink, it doesn't take an expert in viruses to realise that if someone has recovered from the virus then their body has solved the puzzle and found a solution. Nobody is saying that they can't catch it again, but their immune system will be fore armed.

Vaccinations against measles and mumps etc, didn't stop you from catching them, but the consequences were negligable compared to someone who had not been vaccinated, where simple infections could be life threatening.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Nah - those days are long past. It's that I value my privacy.
If you really valued your privacy, you wouldn't own a cell phone of any kind. Unless you are pulling the battery out of your phone, it is constantly telling the towers, "Hey, here I am."

When I am hanging out on the computer, I put my phone right under the monitor. When the tower pings the phone, and the phone responds, I can pick it up as interference on my speakers. I also get the same interference a couple of seconds before the phone rings when someone calls it.

If you are expecting any privacy in this age, you may not be paying close enough attention.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I heard somebody, who is an authority on viruses, saying that they do not yet have any idea whether those, who have been infected, will be immune to catching it again.
If the story about China, making this virus so it can be caught by humans, is correct I suspect it will need a lot of testing to check whether we can develop an immunity to it by using anti toxins that are created by our white blood cells.

I heard that too, Twink.
They do not know for sure yet, it's too early.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 07:36 AM

Hi

We are still finding out about this virus.

Some Countries who are well ahead of the UK have found that some can be reinfected.

Why is still a mystery.

We will beat this, humans are incredibly adaptive.

When and how has yet to be decided.

We have a number of severe infections which have caused mass extinctions.

The Black Death and Spanish Flu are two examples.

Be positive, we will survive this.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Surely Twink, it doesn't take an expert in viruses to realise that if someone has recovered from the virus then their body has solved the puzzle and found a solution. Nobody is saying that they can't catch it again, but their immune system will be fore armed.

Vaccinations against measles and mumps etc, didn't stop you from catching them, but the consequences were negligable compared to someone who had not been vaccinated, where simple infections could be life threatening.
Yes that is how most vaccines work, they inject a small dose of the illness and your body produces anti-toxins to kill the infection. We produce too many and they remain in our system , so we probably wouldn't notice if we got it again.

The report I heard was that China managed to change the virus, which usually attacks bats, and experimented to make sure that Humans could catch it. Apparently the original cells would not have been able to attach themselves to humans, but after these experiments they can now.
If they can change a virus, we have no idea what other changes they have made &, if it was designed to attack humans, what did they intend to do with it?

A virus expert will probably know more than us about this so I accept what he said.

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top