Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Brassicas.

I've just planted out the last of my brassicas, now all I've got to do is fight off the caterpillars, aphids, pigeons, slugs, cabbage root fly and clubroot..........easy peasy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Re: Brassicas.

Alan I had a go at growing Brassicas, I love purple sprouting broccoli but I gave up in the end when my garden became a magnate for cabbage white butterflies. They even managed to lay eggs on the plants which were inside netting (where they touched the net ).

Good luck, I hope there is somthing left for you to eat
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 02:05 PM

I have great respect for brassica growing gardeners, jolly hard work and constant vigilance.
I've tried too but have given up - our two resident wood pigeons strip bare my feeble attempts.
I am happy to see them eat all the bits under the bird feeders though - they keep other vermin at bay.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 09:13 PM

Me too Janela. I've noticed that the National Trust sometimes use a light fleece to keep the butterflies at bay. They use it to guard against carrot root fly too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 08:44 AM

I too gave up growing brassicas a few years ago for the same reason, that everything was continually decimated by caterpillars. I also struggle with carrots as they always seem to be eaten by the root fly, although this year I've tried sowing the seed much later to try and avoid the main season for the fly's egg laying time...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top