Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Re: Tomatoes.

Mine have just come down with the blight.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 09:31 PM

I've not had that happen, I don't think. How would I recognise it?
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Just started picking mine too. Cherry tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets. Bumper crop. Trouble is they all arrive at once. I have given them 100% TLC yet clearing part of my garden I have found a tomato plant, about 4ft high, that must have self seeded. It has been neglected, unwatered, yet is covered in fruit. That one alone would have provided for all our needs.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 01:50 PM

I am enjoying mine! They are particularly nice and very good this year. I have one in my lunch bag right now!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Alan your tomatoes look wonderful, I have had a real problem this year, every year I buy Cherry Tomato plants and have a good year, but this year I bought plants from the Garden Nursery and the plants didn't grow, they are only about 10" high and have tomatoes on them, but most of them are green or gone bad, I have picked about 8 tomatoes and they seem to be a bit hard. I reckon I must have bought duff plants.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Mine are cropping fast now, I have four varieties growing, two plants of which are Marzano, which we are using for tomato sauce for pasta. I skin them with boiling water then cook them up with onion, garlic, oregano and a splash of Worcester sauce. When thickened and seasoned we put the sauce into sealable bags and freeze it ready for when needed. Delicious....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 04:58 PM

We are knee-deep in Cherry tomatoes now.

11 of the 12 dwarf plants I grew from seed survived.

Mine are all Bush Tomatoes but I can't remember which one, which is a shame because I've never seen such a prolific bush tomato plant.

I've grown mostly determinate Tomatoes now for four years and they're less hassle normally as the bush usually becomes a miniature tree to look at but this one produced too many side shoots for my liking so, even though we have a great crop, I won't go for this one again.

Problem is now we've got too many Tomatoes - about 60 picked and more still on the plants so I will be taking some into work and we are making Roast Tomato Soup from some too.

They are very sweet too. stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 06:41 PM

My tomato plants are now past their best. There are still lots of fruit on but they are mostly small ones and will probably not develop fully.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Mine are still coming strong. I planted on ONE beefsteak plant... I did NOT prune at all.. The plant is MASSIVE.. it has loads of tomatoes albeit they may be smaller than a 1 or two stem plant. Who prunes... who doesn't.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Always take the side shoots out of cordon varieties, but not the bush type tomatoes. This year I have five Alicante plants, which have done wonderfully well, and six Baby Plum (all bought for £1.99 for six plug plants from Aldi) and it is like a jungle in the greenhouse now! Next year I'll be harder on the bush ones. I also take some of the bottom foliage off the cordon plants and stop them when they get to about 3 ft.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top