Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Lucky escape from injury....

Out walking yesterday with Hatti, when we were 'set' upon by 4 Jack Russell Terriers and a Staffi with no owner in sight

Strolling along when one Terrier ran past us, quickly followed by the other dogs, then they all turned back and started having a go at Hatti-Staffi having a go at her head and neck, and the Terriers were just having a go wherever they could. Owner then appeared and tried to get them off. I managed to kick the Staffi which in turn had a go at me and managed to nip the top of my leg. Owner eventually grabbed the Terriers and flung them out of way-got the Staffi on a lead and one of the Terriers-no other leads with him!!!! Full of apologies and told me they were always doing this Asked him for name and address as he was going to pay for any Vet bills if treatment needed-course he refused, saying she wasn't injured, then ran off with his 'wild pack' following! Thankfully Hatti didn't need treatment, although she did have a small cut on her leg where she fell on the path-more in shock than anything-couldn't stop shaking-my legs were doing the same.

Have reported the incident to Dog Wardens and Police, just in case someone else goes through the same experience and knows who the owner is.

Will never understand why someone, who knows that their dogs are aggressive, allow them all to run in a pack off lead-totally irresponsible. Am now going to get myself some sort of walking stick to carry round on our walks...don't ever want to go through that again .......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Re: Lucky escape from injury....

Goodness! that must have been very frightening for you, Merz. Thank goodness both you and Hatti weren't bitten.

Why on earth do people with aggressive dogs allow them to run loose when there are other dogs around!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Goodness! that must have been very frightening for you, Merz. Thank goodness both you and Hatti weren't bitten.

Why on earth do people with aggressive dogs allow them to run loose when there are other dogs around!
It was Mags...happened so quickly-one dog would have been bad enough, but didn't really know where to start getting 5 away!!
Rum
New Member!
Cumbria
Rum is male 

16-03-2011, 08:52 AM

I have every sympathy. I have two border terriers, which are well trained and always on a lead on the street. I simply cannot understand people who let their dogs go off freely when they know they can't control them. My two were set on by an Alsatian a few weeks ago. It was boisterous to begin with but it started to get aggressive and 'run down' one of mine. I happened to have a stick with me, which I don't normally and shouted to the owner, who was some way off that he had better control his dog or I would hit it. He, the idiot, tried to turn the tables and started on to me 'if you hit my dog...etc etc'.

By the time it was all over he 'half' apologised. I made the point aboput keeping dogs under control though much to his grumbling disapproval. Idiot.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2011, 08:59 AM

A terrifying situation for you and Hatti Merz, and thankfully you were both OK.

They say there are no bad dogs, just bad owners... perhaps we could have them put down instead?
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2011, 11:01 AM

This happened years ago and not with our current dog.

I was walking my dog who was off his lead in a glen we both liked, very quiet, I could hear people a long way off so called Rickie back, he came back and I slipped his lead on and he went to heel.

This was how he would be expected to be, he was a very well behaved terrier and loved being fussed, wagging his tail in approval. He would go on his lead in the glen in case of alarming others.

Along came a couple, with two dogs, unleashed, the dogs started barking, growling and attacking Rickie. The owners just laughed, taking no action to take control of their lurcher's. They had bitten and broken skin and I was in fear not only for Rickie but for myself.

I managed to get Rickie up into my arms, shouting to the other owners to call their dogs off, they laughed and I just lost it, I unleashed Rickie and let him loose, I thought he would run off how mistaken was I he attacked the biggest dog first, the second dog ran away, seeing its mate bleeding, I picked up a fallen branch to protect myself.

The tables were now turned on the owners of the other dogs. The Lady was screaming at me to call Rickie off, which I did after I saw Rickie was getting bored and the other dog was being very submissive, I pointed out that they did not find it so funny now.

I called Rickie to heal and I put him back on his lead, I swear he winked at me as if to say I enjoyed that.

Nothing more was said by the other dog owners, I took Rickie down to the river he had a swim and cleaned himself up, he had bruising and some cuts caused by teeth.

Some hours later we had a second walk down the glen and I had the best laugh, the owners of the other dogs had only just managed to find the second dog and were shouting at the now leashed hounds, all four covered in mud and subdued.

I had contacted our local authority to report the incident and they thanked me. I did see the owners and dogs weeks later, dogs on leads and pulling the arms off the owners. Again Rickie looked up at me, held up his head and threw out his chest, as he strode by my side.

Moral of this I suppose is be ready to let your dog off their lead.

I really miss Rickie.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2011, 04:54 PM

What a shocking experience, merz! Terribly irresponsible owners; so lucky it didn't turn out worse. Poor Hatti girl!! I'm very glad we have a strict leash law here: dogs only off lead in a designated dog park.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Crickey Merz, I'm so glad you and Hatti girl are OK. What a horrible fright, it's a pity you'll be taking a stick with you in future but better safe than sorry.
Some dog owners are so rude it's no wonder they have badly trained dogs. Years ago I was on the playing fields with Bobby, Border Collie off lead, he was only a year old. Out of the bushes strode this huge chap with five German Shepherds on heavy chains. He let them off and they made straight for Bobby who ran away, with them following and surrounding him. They took no notice when this chap called them off so I shrilled out 'Bobby Lobby' and he came bouncing back to me. This chap swore and shouted that he was a police dog trainer and if I wanted my dog to stay alive to keep off that field when he's there!! It is the owners because a couple of years later I got my own German Shepherd, Murphy, my gentle giant.
Treacle
New Member!
Derbyshire UK
Treacle is female 

16-03-2011, 07:34 PM

I am so sorry about your ordeal, how frightening for you. My little terrier always has to be on a lead there is only a few dogs she will let come near her mostly westies and yorkshire terriers It does not matter how big they are she will have a go the daft dog so I usually make her sit and a short lead till they have passed. Still some owners let their dogs bound up to her till I call she is not friendly, I don't think she will change now she is 13yrs old.

Treacle
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Thats just awful, thank goodness Hatti was not injured....Hope the Police and dog warden do something about the stupid owner....
There are so many people who just let their dogs run riot....Hope you are ok now Merz....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top