Join for free
Page 50 of 83 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 09:12 AM

Re: Who Is Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by manasota ->
That is so true. A recent bit of research has shown most of the opposition to EU membership in this country is coming from the older (ie. over 50's) population. Younger people are far more supportive.

So our generation is doing its selfish best to stymie the aspirations of its children.
That's because we are fortunate in having the perspective of age and experience to guide our opinions. When I was 18-25 full of the arrogance and confidence of youth, I knew absolutely everything and anything an older person said was rubbish. Now I know better!
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
That's because we are fortunate in having the perspective of age and experience to guide our opinions. When I was 18-25 full of the arrogance and confidence of youth, I knew absolutely everything and anything an older person said was rubbish. Now I know better!
So NOW you think you know better and everything young people say is rubbish! And 'young people' are not just 18-25 - the research I'm talking about was under 50's - presumably you'd grant that this age group has some wisdom of its own?

Problem with many (not all) people over 50 is that they/we don't think they/we need to keep learning or can be told anything. They hark back to a golden day that never existed. And everything that follows on from then is to be carped at and dismissed
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 09:31 AM

So our generation is doing its selfish best to stymie the aspirations of its children.
Or to protect them from a terrible mistake, depending on your viewpoint...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 09:45 AM

So NOW you think you know better and everything young people say is rubbish! And 'young people' are not just 18-25 - the research I'm talking about was under 50's - presumably you'd grant that this age group has some wisdom of its own?

Problem with many (not all) people over 50 is that they/we don't think they/we need to keep learning or can be told anything. They hark back to a golden day that never existed. And everything that follows on from then is to be carped at and dismissed
Good post Simon!
Too much of "I'm alright Jack"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Its your opinion Arfa and you're entitled to it.
I've watched him many times and I like what I hear and see .....
He has done a very good job so far - he has 'made' the others sit up and take notice

So too did Adolph Hitler and Benito Mussoliniand they were true Fascists, but look what happened to them!!!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 12:12 PM

ehh heck its great to be back!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
ehh heck its great to be back!
Annie darlin' - glad to see you back again. Are you going to buy that mountain in Cumbria and the 'lord of the manor' title that goes with it???
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
[/B]

So too did Adolph Hitler and Benito Mussoliniand they were true Fascists, but look what happened to them!!!
It'll have to be a from me
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 01:12 PM

It depends if you think there is a modern day Trojan Horse, and if so, you perceive yourself as inside, or outside it.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 02:59 PM

So NOW you think you know better and everything young people say is rubbish!
Where did I say that? You are very good at creating straw men to argue against.

Nice try but completely inaccurate. I've been involved in education my entire working life and the one thing I have learned is that sensible people never stop learning. I'm still learning more and more every single day, which is why I am so cynical about mainstream politics. Many younger people are less negative about the EU simply because they have never experienced an alternative and, as we know people can become institutionalised and don't like to challenge the status quo. Without the perspective of time, it is very difficult for people to visualise radical change. I don't know anyone of my generation who thinks that they lived in a "golden day" - far from it - which is why some of us want positive change not more of the same exploitation and corruption.
The real conservatives are people like you who hate the idea of change and cling to the dire warnings of our corporate lords and masters.

Page 50 of 83 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top